• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bob news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I thought this kind of developer had died out?

I do a lot of sport and eat well, most devs I see around me do a good gym session 3 times a week. It's the only sustainable way to beat the stress.

ps. I'm British before you start moaning about the Olympics
    I've certainly been in some places like that, but not many. One place I worked had a deal with the posh gym next door, and all the developers were on about how great it was having that as part of their permie compensation package. And some of the Linux boys that I worked with earlier this year had an oddity of drinking tea instead of coffee . Most of the offices I've been in have been coffee + junk food havens, though.

I try to cook my own stuff and bring it in, but there's not always time. One of the best places for grub I worked was way out in the sticks, with a little village just up the road that had a total of two shops that you could go to for lunch. They did the best steak casserole and tatties I've ever tasted, though: they made it fresh the night before, and put lunch-sized portions in little microwavable tubs for all the farmworkers from round about to buy the next day. Delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      You must be getting really slim and healthy on the bench then.
      I'm not on the bench any more, didn't you hear?

Comment

did you get that 'exotic' gig then??

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
          I've certainly been in some places like that, but not many. One place I worked had a deal with the posh gym next door, and all the developers were on about how great it was having that as part of their permie compensation package. And some of the Linux boys that I worked with earlier this year had an oddity of drinking tea instead of coffee . Most of the offices I've been in have been coffee + junk food havens, though.

I try to cook my own stuff and bring it in, but there's not always time. One of the best places for grub I worked was way out in the sticks, with a little village just up the road that had a total of two shops that you could go to for lunch. They did the best steak casserole and tatties I've ever tasted, though: they made it fresh the night before, and put lunch-sized portions in little microwavable tubs for all the farmworkers from round about to buy the next day. Delicious.
          I'd be fast asleep in the arvo on that stuff. Smash down a pasta salad and a banana after a good punch up with a colleague.

In the mid 90s in London, it was often a few pints at lunch. Times have changed.

I have very rarely seen junk food in the office for years. Coffee gets drunk a lot though.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
            I'd be fast asleep in the arvo on that stuff. Smash down a pasta salad and a banana after a good punch up with a colleague.

In the mid 90s in London, it was often a few pints at lunch. Times have changed.

I have very rarely seen junk food in the office for years. Coffee gets drunk a lot though.
            That's certainly true. It tends to be more of an evening thing with me when I indulge in junk food.

Comment

I'm not on the bench any more, didn't you hear?
              I didnt! Congrats. I only have time to read / post here when Im not on site. An opportunity might be coming along in Aberdeen for me in the next few months. Think its a probably a bit too cold for me though.

Comment

I didnt! Congrats. I only have time to post here when Im not on site. An opportunity might be coming along in Aberdeen for me in the next few months. Think its a probably a bit too cold for me though.
                I hope it works out for you (if you decide to go there). I've noticed a few gigs for the oil industry up there of late. Fairly well paid too.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                  No mention of Tupperware and home made curry microwaved in communal rest areas / staff canteens

then they eat it at their desk and stink the office out.

Comment

I hope it works out for you (if you decide to go there). I've noticed a few gigs for the oil industry up there of late. Fairly well paid too.
                    What would you call fairly well paid for Scotland?

Comment

What would you call fairly well paid for Scotland?
                      It depends on duration and location. About £300 pd seems to be the norm for a 3 month contract with local travel in the Central Belt. It can go up to about £500 pd for very niche roles, or where there's an issue with the location (like Aberdeen, or another one that's doing the rounds just now located in Perth).

Comment

Working...
                      X