• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is outsourcing the cause of RBS debacle?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BusinessAnalyst2012 View Post
    This is the first time I've worked with offshored resource but I personally haven't seen any problems yet. We are only three weeks into the build, but so far my offshore dev team has been really enthusiastic and keen to learn. Surely technology is technology whether you are sitting at a desk in Manchester or Chennai!
    You know that warm, fuzzy feeling you sometimes have when you first awake before you remember it's a work day?

You're having one right now.

Comment

My new clientco has decided to be different having found India was a disaster - they are now going with a Romanian outsourcer who so far seems to be much better than the Indians but it is early days yet.

Comment

This is the first time I've worked with offshored resource but I personally haven't seen any problems yet. We are only three weeks into the build, but so far my offshore dev team has been really enthusiastic and keen to learn. Surely technology is technology whether you are sitting at a desk in Manchester or Chennai!
        RBS mighy have outsourced it's IT, but you seem to have outsourced your brain

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          BBC News - Is outsourcing the cause of RBS debacle?

Comment #570 (by John):

Hopefully this will act as a wake up call to directors who see IT as an overhead, a chance to justify huge bonuses cutting costs - replacing experienced developers with cheap coders based in India.

Sadly it wont.The UK was a world leaders in IT, that legacy has been squandered by greedy directors, and Labour/Tories have done nothing to stop it.

We should offshore the directors instead.

I have learned to laugh. The number of bob related comedy ****ups I am currently witnessing is absolutely staggering. Everyone can see it. It's the elephant in the room. I just make sure I document everything. I have even advised the pm to keep a project diary to record significant events.

If a company hires unskilled, incompetent people and them charges them out at £1000 per day, and gets away with it time and time again, then this is impressive in a perverse way. The joke of it is it's some business studies grad who's slimed his way into a position of power and makes decisions based on counting beans, and solely on that basis. When said director gets tulipcanned they just schmooze their way into the next high powered gig, which again in a perverse way is impressive.

I for one am curious if I can learn a trick or two from these koonts while papering over my own arse and letting them carry the can?
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Just wait till then end of the build and you start testing

They might be able to hide problems if they are also doing the testing, the fun will really start when you try to UAT

Then you will need an onsite resource to fix the problems before you go live.

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt, it aint fun. If you have a project with offshore resources then you put in plenty of contingency and don't tell them about it, because you will need it to fix the mess.

Culturally they will always seem positive and everything will be fine, they do not like to relay negative messages or say that something is not going well, it is seen a a sense of failure to do so.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Just wait till then end of the build and you start testing

They might be able to hide problems if they are also doing the testing, the fun will really start when you try to UAT

Then you will need an onsite resource to fix the problems before you go live.

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt, it aint fun. If you have a project with offshore resources then you put in plenty of contingency and don't tell them about it, because you will need it to fix the mess.

Culturally they will always seem positive and everything will be fine, they do not like to relay negative messages or say that something is not going well, it is seen a a sense of failure to do so.
              Well said. They will only let you know that everything is oing well until you find out that it isn't. Then they become all sloapy shouldered all of a sudden.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

What are the Tories or Labour supposed to do?

Stop bitching about competition and make sure you justify your own rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                  Create policies that would encourage local employment - particularly in SMEs because they will wield a lot less lobbying power.

Comment

Change the law so that they cannot come into this country except if they earn a decent living i.e. higher than the average median wage, and they have to pay tax in this country.

That way UK youth and UK graduates will have a chance of entering the industry

It would also help those who are on visa as I've had to work in the same office with people who have frankly been abused.

Stop bitching about competition and make sure you justify your own rate.
                    Some of them screw up really quickly......
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thing about bobs is that a good percentage of them are very sneeky and devious.

Comment

Working...
                      X