• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perspective

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    norrahe, if that's your cat in your avi, can you please tell him to stop hitting my cat? There's one exactly like your avi that's never out of my garden winding my two up.
    a camera flash in its eyes will scare it away, without doing any lasting harm

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Yes, I keep getting called about banking gigs. But working in that sector once was enough for me. I find that if they're not completely wasting your time, they invariably expect you to work without internet access or USB drives (or in one particularly noteworthy case, without a desk or a computer, and I wasn't allowed to bring my own!). I can't help people with those sort of limitations, and I wont waste my time or their money trying to.
      I sypathise with that. I'm at a bank at the moment. I tried to save my timesheet to my own USB memory stick, and up popped a dialog asking me to enter a password for the encryption that seemed to be mandatory. The dialog had no Cancel option, so I couldn't decide not to save. Out of spite I shut down the PC instead, thinking that would make it abandon, but before it shut down, it wrote the file anyway: encrypted with a password it invented and didn't tell me, and usable only with the bank's encryption program which runs on Windows which as it happens is not what I use at home.

I do not need this tulip. OK, it's not as bad as not earning.... but as I get older and grumpier, it becomes an ever closer call.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

norrahe, if that's your cat in your avi, can you please tell him to stop hitting my cat? There's one exactly like your avi that's never out of my garden winding my two up.
        It is and he does like a scrap, but has been confined indoors, so probably not one of my 3.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
          Can't understand anybody who has pets without insurance. recently had our tennant crying about vet bills.. 3k it cost him, doubt he will have another pet but definitely not one without insurance.
          Cos its expensive and the excess means you never get to claim for normal illnesses.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Cos its expensive and the excess means you never get to claim for normal illnesses.
            I was paying £3 per moggy and the excess was reasonable. When NorPussI was attacked and injured pretty badly this time last year, I was about £75 out of pocket from a £1300 vet bill.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I've developed a tool for Excel which I've been using for years as a prototyping tool. Sometimes the prototype is so good I productionalise Pivot table reports.

It allows me to rapidly create SQL reports in Pivot tables. I can test SQL out, change connections instantly, create new ones using the same memory cache. Topped off with some VBScripting routines I have they can be productionalised using a scheduled windows job & emailed. If you're clever with SQL you can create more complex reports in a Pivot table than the vast majority of Reporting/Business Intelligence suites on the market. The last three companies I've contracted at have adopted copies of it.

Which is actually quite bloody annoying.

You are spending too much time talking to Yanks.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                I was paying £3 per moggy and the excess was reasonable. When NorPussI was attacked and injured pretty badly this time last year, I was about £75 out of pocket from a £1300 vet bill.
                For £75 I'd want a new cat (for £1300 I'd want a panda)
                Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  It is and he does like a scrap, but has been confined indoors, so probably not one of my 30.
                  ftfy
                  Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Yeh. The 'Van driver wanted: must be have experience of red vans' thing really pisses me off.
                    Yep. I've had that one.

And from a company which was on my doorstep and paid well.

Bloody agencies wouldn't put me forward because I hadn't driven red vans.

And lo and behold when I finally got a gig which had red vans, I found the only difference with red vans was that they were faster and the service manual had been updated.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
                      ftfy

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X