• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quitting a contract for the first time in 6 weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Why not drop your pants and bend over at the same time?
    I know a rate cut is crap but that's just the economic reality at the moment.

If we accept the reduced rate, turn up for eight hours, sit in a chair, drink coffee,
    browse the net, apply for jobs in company time, oh and write some code if and when in the mood,
    is that really bending over? Get even, don't get angry!

[P.S. Only follow this advice if the PM is a grade one ar** hole, else quit]

Comment

Originally posted by insur View Post
      ..is that really bending over? ..
      I'm afraid to say yes it is. I've not yet met anyone who turned down a rate cut and was canned. Obviously we're not allowed to mention this to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
        I'm afraid to say yes it is. I've not yet met anyone who turned down a rate cut and was canned. Obviously we're not allowed to mention this to anyone.
        Someone at JPM had a rate cut from 1st Dec 2008. 7 days later they canned him anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Someone at JPM had a rate cut from 1st Dec 2008. 7 days later they canned him anyway!
          I once took a 5% rate cut and was canned 2 years later.

Fast forward to today at new client co: last week I billed my biggest invoice ever: £5.5k excluding VAT

I have no doubt peaked in terms of earning potential but to hell with it all, I'm going out in a blaze of glory

Comment

Originally posted by insur View Post
            That's fine if a new contract can be secured quickly but never forget the old saying, "act in haste repent at leisure"
            Strike while the iron is hot.

Once you give way a little on your principles the rot sets in, this week he will accept a 3% pay cut, this time next year he will be wearing sandals and washing every other day
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Having never been subject to rate cut I dont know what I'd do. I guess bottom line is it depends on how big your warchest, how much you like current contract, and how easy you think its going to be to get something else.

Principles are all well and good and if everyone said no then they wouldnt do it. So I applaud people who've got the guts to do this.

BUT, you got to look after yourself. I think if it was me, and it was only 3% then I'd suck it up. Of course, that would be the end of any good will extras from me and, if something better came up mid-contract I'd be gone- no qualms at all.

Not getting into the argument about being professional etc and client would notice if you took the piss etc, but sometimes I wonder if its worth it for them. So client imposes 3%, contractor pissed off - you telling me that they don't lose AT LEAST 3% worth or productivity from said contractor (be it deliberate or not)?

Also, seriously though, if you came in next week, and decided to do 50% work/ 50% web surfing, how long before client even noticed? Reckon a month or so at least - and then probably take them to next extension before they realised the score....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                I billed my biggest invoice ever: £5.5k excluding VAT
                I hope that's weekly ... otherwise I guess your skill is cleaning toilets.

Comment

Working...
                X