• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

University, huh, yeah What is it good for Absolutely nothing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to a Red Brick Uni and its done me ok I guess, I work in IBs on good contract rates ... but ageism is going to go against me soon and I got 10 years in it max. so I'm wondering now was it worth it doing 2 years for A-Level and another 3 for Uni. ... hmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
      I went to a Red Brick Uni and its done me ok I guess, I work in IBs on good contract rates ... but ageism is going to go against me soon and I got 10 years in it max. so I'm wondering now was it worth it doing 2 years for A-Level and another 3 for Uni. ... hmmmmmmm
      You need to make yourself look younger.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Civil servants are out of touch you don't want them doing it unless they do it by looking at the figures for courses.
        I guess it could start with analysing industry and seeing where the gaps will be. I would not think it was easy but I am fairly sure it can be done e.g. Klingon is unlikely to useful whereas physics is apparently in demand.

This kind of analysis thing has been done before with determining core subjects etc.

Even then they muck up if it's not done with all the relevant departments.
        Then do it with all of the relevant departments? It is not a straightforward process and you will never have everyone agreeing but you have to start somewhere.

When they increased the number of places for medicine a few years back, the NHS didn't increase the number of training posts. So when the students graduated they couldn't get the training they needed and some went aboard.
        Perhaps they can take previous examples like this into account to make things better.

Lots of stuff about music degrees and education
        Personally I sing, I have since school (not continuously). I have no exposure to the musical world other than that (never studied it as formal education only ever as part of a choir and with a teacher) so I yield to your greater knowledge.

So in my hyperthetical world if someone could present a good case for music being a core degree then it could be included otherwise it would be one that is either funded via a bursary if you are very very good, via a means test support if there is money available and you are just very good or purely self funded regardless of how good you are (assuming there is space for you).
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

You need to make yourself look younger.
          Here are some tips.

Have your eyebrows trimmed
          Keep your hair looking reasonably modern
          Get fit
          Dont talk about the past,
          Dont tell people how old you are
          Bend your knees when picking things up
          Turn your neck and not your shoulders when turning round
          Dont go on about how many years experience you have been doing things
          Dont wander around with your mouth open

More to come
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
          X