• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

University, huh, yeah What is it good for Absolutely nothing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    what spoils that is that the definition was written by "CUKKER"
    0/10
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      From the above:

"I am very successful because I have a proper degree from a proper university - you are poor because you have facial warts & went to a poly."

Quite right. Couldn't have put it better myself.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I dream of a setup where access to higher education was free for 'useful' courses provided the applicant was clever enough - although that would mean making A levels difficult again, which might require making GCSEs hard too.
        Who defines what's useful?

And is what is defined as useful fixed?

For example some orchestras a while ago where complaining about not having enough quality musicians.

And I know people with music degrees from some of the top music schools (where you study other subjects like languages) who now teach in Primary schools.

While they needed A levels their main way of getting on their courses was an audition.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Who defines what's useful?
          Tricky one but there would just have to be some part of the education department in the government doing it. How they reach their decision would hopefully be

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          And is what is defined as useful fixed?

For example some orchestras a while ago where complaining about not having enough quality musicians.

And I know people with music degrees from some of the top music schools (where you study other subjects like languages) who now teach in Primary schools.

While they needed A levels their main way of getting on their courses was an audition.
          Musical courses are normally about musical theory and history rather about performance though, aren't they? I was under the impression that people with this flair studied privately and worked their way up through the grade system and any orchestra would logically insist on an audition (we certainly do) regardless of anyone's academic achievement.

There might well be a lack of quality musicians, however I would guess that this is more due to the expense of instruments and the various, more attractive, alternate ways to spend time for youngsters rather than spending several hours practicing. I would not be suprised if other, more difficult skills, are also dying off.

If someone had a true talent, as measured by an audition and or high grade level then I would consider offering them a bursary. Otherwise I would put this degree as self funding.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Those with rigorous degrees from good unis probably have no problem. Those with crap degrees from ex-polys probably do. Which is as it should be, TBH. It's only Labour's silly conceit that everyone is equal that led to high expectations.
            I hope you're not including computing degrees in that 'rigorous' classification.

An eight week RAF software course is all that is required.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              I hope you're not including computing degrees in that 'rigorous' classification.

An eight week RAF software course is all that is required.
              How would you know?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

How would you know?
                Because I did it....
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  Because I did it....
                  My point is how do you know what you've missed?
                  8 weeks is just about enough to train someone in a language - I doubt there's anything deep about algorithmic theory, NP-complete problems, building a virtual computer from scratch, AI techniques, data mining, statistical and machine learning etc etc.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

My point is how do you know what you've missed?
                    8 weeks is just about enough to train someone in a language - I doubt there's anything deep about algorithmic theory, NP-complete problems, building a virtual computer from scratch, AI techniques, data mining, statistical and machine learning etc etc.
                    not to mention learning how to research and do critical analysis
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      Tricky one but there would just have to be some part of the education department in the government doing it. How they reach their decision would hopefully be

Musical courses are normally about musical theory and history rather about performance though, aren't they? I was under the impression that people with this flair studied privately and worked their way up through the grade system and any orchestra would logically insist on an audition (we certainly do) regardless of anyone's academic achievement.

There might well be a lack of quality musicians, however I would guess that this is more due to the expense of instruments and the various, more attractive, alternate ways to spend time for youngsters rather than spending several hours practicing. I would not be suprised if other, more difficult skills, are also dying off.

If someone had a true talent, as measured by an audition and or high grade level then I would consider offering them a bursary. Otherwise I would put this degree as self funding.
                      I think given the state of western culture right now it's more actually important than ever to encourage high level education in music and other arts.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X