• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sockie increase?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Here is one quietly upping their post count ===>

Displaying a little too much knowledge for a noob

HTH
    Actually I don't know what a Sockie is either, and equally I couldn't care less about the post count (not unless you pay me).
    So perhaps someone could kindly post a Sticky explaining these playground terms so us newbies can avoid the sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by BS1397 View Post
      Actually I don't know what a Sockie is either, and equally I couldn't care less about the post count (not unless you pay me).
      So perhaps someone could kindly post a Sticky explaining these playground terms so us newbies can avoid the sarcasm?
      WBSS

Never got the meaning of a sockie either, most probably someone who trolls

Comment

Originally posted by BS1397 View Post
        Sockie / Sock Puppet : A forum identity set up by an existing forum user. The term "sock puppet" comes from the tendency of people using such identities to conduct conversations between their own second identity and their original one, like a ventriloquist does with a dummy. Often the sockie will be used to give the illusion of third-party agreement with their own original identity's views, but sometimes they'll be used to attack the original identity in the name of gaining sympathy/support for that identity, or simply to annoy without affecting the original identity's reputation.*

Troll: A person that posts content for the sole purpose of getting any form of reaction (positive or negative), whilst not holding any actual views about the content they post themselves.

AndyW: I had to ask about this one myself. Apparently he's a troll from way back that's become so embedded in a small number of older FMs consciousnesses that they still pay tribute to him in every single poll they post. When I asked who he was, and somebody told me, I checked out some of his old posts using the search function. All I can say is that I really hope they deleted his wittiest contributions, because from the kids' stuff I saw I can't see any reason why he's gained such a foothold in the CUK consciousness.

Edit: Latter discussion indicates this is not what the term "Bob" actually means. It is in fact a racist term for offshore workers, so don't use this definition!
        Bob: I had a bit of difficulty with this one myself, since it's a term that seems to be used inconsistently. I believe it means "a ClientCo employee", often used non-derogatorily. However, it did confuse me a bit when someone (I think it was aussielong) said that I should "never have to meet" any bobs whilst on contracts, which suggests he may have a differing definition of that term to the way I use it, since I can't imagine a contract where I'd never meet employees of the client.

Banned / Seriously Banned : For the most part = "not actually banned". Someone explained to me recently that, when you get to 5000 posts, you get to choose your own description in place of the "Fingers like lightning", "Should post faster", etc, labels that are automatically assigned before that. Mysteriously, even though he's managed 9 posts a day, every day, since joining in 2005, and clocked up 23,000 posts in his busy and full life, MarillionFan still hasn't found the time to change his label to "Paranoid Walt".

IR35: The second-worst piece of legislation ever devised by Tony Blair. Aims, and mostly fails, to try and prove that legitimate contractors are "disguised employees" of their clients. Whilst an understandable aspiration in the case of people who stick with one client for years at a time doing whatever work they're assigned, just the way an employee would, it's less understandable for those of us that contract for different people all the time, sometimes for more than one client simultaneously.

...any more with any more CUK lingo?

[* NB: Sock Puppets, real or imagined, are also useful for identifying the most paranoid members of a board, who invariably imagine that everyone and anyone they've never seen before must be a Sock Puppet. Even people who use their own readily-confirmable RL name, who have a CUK account that was created over five years ago, and a blog with two years' history that is verifiable via Wayback that contains a public e-mail address. People who make these claims are generally major Walts themselves, often making spurious claims about owning the forum they are merely a member of, and apocryphal claims of working in the US to explain why in their busy and successful lives they find time to be up at 3am posting nonsense. That's the thing about pathological liars: they find it hard to believe anyone else, even on the most mundane and easily-verifiable of subjects. ]
        Last edited by Gentile; 27 July 2012, 12:18. Reason: Correcting the definition of "Bob"

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
          Sockie / Sock Puppet : A forum identity set up by an existing forum user. The term "sock puppet" comes from the tendency of people using such identities to conduct conversations between their own second identity and their original one, like a ventriloquist does with a dummy. Often the sockie will be used to give the illusion of third-party agreement with their own original identity's views, but sometimes they'll be used to attack the original identity in the name of gaining sympathy/support for that identity, or simply to annoy without affecting the original identity's reputation.*

Troll: A person that posts content for the sole purpose of getting any form of reaction (positive or negative), whilst not holding any actual views about the content they post themselves.

AndyW: I had to ask about this one myself. Apparently he's a troll from way back that's become so embedded in a small number of older FMs consciousnesses that they still pay tribute to him in every single poll they post. When I asked who he was, and somebody told me, I checked out some of his old posts using the search function. All I can say is that I really hope they deleted his wittiest contributions, because from the kids' stuff I saw I can't see any reason why he's gained such a foothold in the CUK consciousness.

Bob: I had a bit of difficulty with this one myself, since it's a term that seems to be used inconsistently. I believe it means "a ClientCo employee", often used non-derogatorily. However, it did confuse me a bit when someone (I think it was aussielong) said that I should "never have to meet" any bobs whilst on contracts, which suggests he may have a differing definition of that term to the way I use it, since I can't imagine a contract where I'd never meet employees of the client.

Banned / Seriously Banned : For the most part = "not actually banned". Someone explained to me recently that, when you get to 5000 posts, you get to choose your own description in place of the "Fingers like lightning", "Should post faster", etc, labels that are automatically assigned before that. Mysteriously, even though he's managed 9 posts a day, every day, since joining in 2005, and clocked up 23,000 posts in his busy and full life, MarillionFan still hasn't found the time to change his label to "Paranoid Walt".

IR35: The second-worst piece of legislation ever devised by Tony Blair. Aims, and mostly fails, to try and prove that legitimate contractors are "disguised employees" of their clients. Whilst an understandable aspiration in the case of people who stick with one client for years at a time doing whatever work they're assigned, just the way an employee would, it's less understandable for those of us that contract for different people all the time, sometimes for more than one client simultaneously.

...any more with any more CUK lingo?

[* NB: Sock Puppets, real or imagined, are also useful for identifying the most paranoid members of a board, who invariably imagine that everyone and anyone they've never seen before must be a Sock Puppet. Even people who use their own readily-confirmable RL name, who have a CUK account that was created over five years ago, and a blog with two years' history that is verifiable via Wayback that contains a public e-mail address. People who make these claims are generally major Walts themselves, often making spurious claims about owning the forum they are merely a member of, and apocryphal claims of working in the US to explain why in their busy and successful lives they find time to be up at 3am posting nonsense. That's the thing about pathological liars: they find it hard to believe anyone else, even on the most mundane and easily-verifiable of subjects. ]
          I always thought a Bob is a person from an Asian continent, I might be mistaken though

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
            I always thought a Bob is a person from an Asian continent, I might be mistaken though
            That would explain my trouble in understanding what aussie meant - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
              Yes, it's a soft racist term used by embittered low grade techies who find that they are no longer competitive in a global market.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Yes, it's a soft racist term used by embittered low grade techies who find that they are no longer competitive in a global market.
                I'm embarrassed to have been using it now. I genuinely thought it meant what I said, and am glad someone corrected me.

Why do they use such a stereotypically British name to describe an Asian offshore worker I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                  That would explain my trouble in understanding what aussie meant - thanks.
                  Bob.

Bob Shawadiwadi

Introducing Bob Shawadiwadi - YouTube

(And BTW fella I joined in 1998)
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Bob.

Bob Shawadiwadi

Introducing Bob Shawadiwadi - YouTube

(And BTW fella I joined in 1998)
                    That's the thing about talking rubbish constantly, MF. Sooner or later people just stop believing anything you say. You have a nice day now, though, whatever colour the sky is on your planet today.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...obs-again.html
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X