• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice periods?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly notice when Mrs Lucifer gets hers. Moody doesn't even come close.

Comment

Depends if you think you can survive without the reference....

Comment

I dont trust COMPANIES for references... too many times ive worked on contract, worked hard and struggled through the debris of a project so mangled that they finally had to let 'evil contractors' in the door, only to find they 'dont remember me' and it was the permies who saved the day.

I do trust INDIVIDUALS. As its mostly agencies who do the 'checking' of references (for that "read sales leads"), having the senior project manager / programme director and technical architects of several multinationals and banks on my list of possible refs is a bonus - but these are people who I know I can trust, and I respect them. I certainly dont give out their names until I meet the client and know its a legit role.

Its taken me years to get a good reputation amongst some very useful senior people - but thats part of our business - client relationships. Although I sympathise with your situation, I would consider approaching my prospective client to ask if my start date could be delayed slightly 'to enable me to support my current team' - they might be too dumb to notice you are being professional but on the other hand some managers are wise enough to at least appreciate what you are trying to do.

Comment

P.S I seem to remember an article in Computer Weekly about how the maximum notice period was set at one month by the EU - I was once told I needed to stay for 3 months and when I said 'no' they said 'oh.... ok.... would you like a contract instead?'. Anything above that duration could be deemed - if you were prepared to pursue it - as restraint of trade. Its different regarding dealing with clients of your ex company / recruiting their staff, as far as I know.

Comment

...if only I could find that cutting! Drawn a blank on Google etc :-(

Comment

Working...
            X