• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Irritating People

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    You're irritating for not telling us how they're irritating
    He keeps browsing swinging websites whilst rubbing himself and groaning.

And he stinks, I think he cycles in to work but doesn't bother showering...ever!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      He keeps browsing swinging websites whilst rubbing himself and groaning.

And he stinks, I think he cycles in to work but doesn't bother showering...ever!
      Are you working with Suity?

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        It can be annoying. The worst person I ever sat next to on a contract was this guy that just didn't understand he wasn't the world's greatest DJ as he imagined. He used to play the most obscure and crap music on his PC's loudspeakers all day, and try to engage others in conversation about his bizarre musical tastes.

Ironically, this guy decided to complain to his manager one time about some other guy in that office who used to whistle occasionally. As he was complaining, he went round the office polling opinions to try and make it seem like a consensus view. When he got to me, I just said "I do find the whistling a little bit distracting, but to be honest your music is quite intrusive too; would you mind using headphones?".

I try to live with whatever the environment's like at each place I go. However, other people inflicting their musical tastes on me whilst I'm trying to concentrate on technical work is one of the few things I can't tolerate: it just short-circuits my brain in a particular way that makes it no good for software development.
        And that's another thing that has been irritating me constantly for the last 4 months - perhaps you can all start to understand the difficulty of working in Sh*thole like this one. They seem to pick a music channel and force everybody in the room to listen to the music repeating over and over again. I can't concentrate with that tulip ON!

Comment

It can be annoying, have you tried using the old headphones? It worked for me. Either that or ask your boss to have a word, unless it is your boss of course.

Comment

Soap dodgers are worse, oh and people who insist on clearing out their sinesses while sitting at their desk. Have noticed that this is more of a bob issue

Comment

Is there anything worse than having to sit next to someone you find really irritating day after day?

Sitting between two people you find really irritating, who keep talking to each other over you.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                And that's another thing that has been irritating me constantly for the last 4 months - perhaps you can all start to understand the difficulty of working in Sh*thole like this one. They seem to pick a music channel and force everybody in the room to listen to the music repeating over and over again. I can't concentrate with that tulip ON!
                I've noticed it a couple of places I've been. The only way to deal with it is to raise it as a problem early on, and to raise it in the context of productivity rather than going for an accusatory approach off the bat. If you let it fester (as I did in that earlier case, to be honest), it becomes a more difficult problem to fix, since they wonder why you didn't say anything sooner. If there is that problem, these days after the first meeting I just say "There is just one thing I'd like to ask, and if it's just me I'll shut up, but I find that music playing whilst I'm trying to focus on technical work short circuits my brain in a way that means I can't concentrate. To help with that problem, would it be possible for anyone that wants to listen to their own music to use headphones, please?". Provided you're OK in your dealings with people for the most part, I find that people are generally receptive to one or two polite requests to help you hit the ground running and ensure they're getting their money's worth.

Comment

People who eat at their desks but can't close their mouths when they do. There is a bloke who sits near me who kind of slurps when he does this also. really annoying. Glad I got a set of them beats headphones!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Is there anything worse than having to sit next to someone you find really irritating day after day?

Yes - having to work where I am currently at.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                      I've noticed it a couple of places I've been. The only way to deal with it is to raise it as a problem early on, and to raise it in the context of productivity rather than going for an accusatory approach off the bat. If you let it fester (as I did in that earlier case, to be honest), it becomes a more difficult problem to fix, since they wonder why you didn't say anything sooner. If there is that problem, these days after the first meeting I just say "There is just one thing I'd like to ask, and if it's just me I'll shut up, but I find that music playing whilst I'm trying to focus on technical work short circuits my brain in a way that means I can't concentrate. To help with that problem, would it be possible for anyone that wants to listen to their own music to use headphones, please?". Provided you're OK in your dealings with people for the most part, I find that people are generally receptive to one or two polite requests to help you hit the ground running and ensure they're getting their money's worth.
                      That's all fine when you are dealing with reasonable people, not a school playground/gang mentality.

Comment

Working...
                      X