• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Squash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I keep getting beaten, just, by this bloke at the office & it's starting to get to me so I want to do something about it.

I've identified the main weakness in my game (other than just being generally crap) - I can't get those balls that drop into the corners neither can I dig out balls that just drop off the back wall without bouncing very high. Just can't get the racquet under them. He can though - seems to use a scooping action that I'm not entirely sure is legal.

Just wondering if there is any particular racquet that is more conducive to playing these kind of shots - one with a smaller head perhaps? Any advice from you sporty types would be most welcome.
    Ah that takes me back to squash-playing days - don't know why I stopped really other than I started liking tennis better.
    What you've identified is what makes a good squash player - the ability to have the ball traverse the side walls and go into the corners.
    If the opponent is very good some of those balls are almost irretrievable - not much to do except practice and do it back.
    Or use side walls if there's any room as OS says.
    But I've played very good people who always got me that way, and had the same problem - I was a reasonable but not great player.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm not a great squash player but have seen the problems you face.
      Boasting off the back wall is hard to do, rarely gets the ball anywhere near the front and can often lead to the ball bouncing straight back into your body (or face as I'm painfully aware).
      The trick is twofold:
      Like someone else said the best bet is to recognise it's going to happen before the ball gets to the back wall. Hard to do but it'll come with practice.
      The second is the scooping (which is legal). Essentially what you want to do is swing your racquet but can't because the wall is in the way. The way people get around it is to make the backswing a downward movement rather than a horizontal one. If you turn your racquet part way through the downswing you hit the ball, with no backwards lateral movement and only lose a fraction of the power you lose from boasting.

Keep going and keep practicing against these people as they're your best bet for improving.
      Squash is undoubtable one of the hardest, most physically demanding sports I've tried outside of contact sports like rugby.
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

You could use a very bouncy squash ball:

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
        X