• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home v Office working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DieScum
    I suppose I feel pretty isolated but the money is coming in and the job is getting done.
    I think it makes a bigger difference depending on home life. It you live alone then the home-office door is always open and there is a tendency to work more but less productively. It you have family around then you have the perfect excuse to finish on time (pick the kids up from school etc) and enjoy the family life whilst you can - you never know where the next project will be.

HTH

Comment

Well I am way before the having a family stage. So kids aren't a problem for me.

I suppose is good. I can hit up a club tonight. Have a few drinks and as long as I don't have a mad one I can just get up a bit later tomorrow rather than crawl out of bed at 6:30 with a hangover slowly sapping my will to be human.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
        1. Wake up early, shower and dress for work (casual) rather than code in your pants.

6. Always take breaks - get out of the office - cycle when the weather's good, get the shopping in the mid-morning/early afternoon - the blue rinses are quite laid back and it helps reduce your stress levels. I call it thinking time.
        Also keep to meal breaks properly, and take them away from your desk.
        Pick regular meal times and stick to them.

Don't be tempted to survive on sandwiches - prepare proper meals.

Do something else like watch the midday news while chomping.

Regular breaks (every hour or two) outside in the garden for a cuppa (weather permitting) are also a good idea.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The office is best , free stationary , laptops etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitbucket
            The office is best , free stationary , laptops etc.
            agreed

plus blond female "co-workers" in tiny, tiny little skirts

Comment

Yes, that's what I miss the most working at home. The endless client crumpet wiggling up the office corridors.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                2. Try to avoid a wankathon mid morning
                Mid afternoon is even worse - makes the day drag even more.

I'm working at home at the moment - it's why my damn post count is rocketing.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Home every time for me. I can work to my bodyclock a lot better. Mornings to mid afternoon and 3-4 hours in the evenings. Mind you, I'm not distracted by other people or pets, so that probably makes a difference, plus I'm not the sort of person that needs constant company to be happy.

The biggest downfall is if you are WFH for a long contract and then get another that operates more on a personal client control basis with fixed expected office hours. Highly likely in my field. Re-adjusting could be tough.

At the moment I'm in heaven. I'm enjoying my assignment, have a wonderful client, can come and go as I please, love the work, foreign travel prospects, excellent money and an on-site office that's only a half hour commute from door to door. The only real downside is the constant pressure to produce at short notice and longish hours realistically to keep up with deadlines. Still, you can't have everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X