• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Olympic Brand Police

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Because the last government passed a law making it so

London Olympic and Paralympic Games Act 2006
    And how is that compatible with EU laws on competition?

Nobody dares to find out because it costs so fooking much and takes so fooking long

Comment

I don't watch it anymore because of this. Same for the Champions Cup in cricket where a search of my bag on entering for the final saw them confiscate a can of Coke as the event was supported by Pepsi. Had a row and was told ditch it or you cant come in.

Havent been since, and will not.

It's a sign of what sport has become.

Comment

If you don't do all this crap, you don't get the Olympics, simple as that.

Can London Afford the $14.5 Billion Price Tag of the Summer 2012 Olympic Games? | Culture | Vanity Fair
        The full stipulations of the Olympic contract, which were made public in December 2010 by an East London activist and researcher named Paul Charman, following two years of Freedom of Information requests, contain tens of thousands of binding commitments. To comply with its terms, London must designate 250 miles of dedicated traffic lanes for the exclusive use of athletes and “the Olympic Family,” including I.O.C. members, honorary members, and “such other persons as may be designated by the IOC.” (These traffic lanes are sometimes called “Zil lanes,” alluding to the Soviet-era express lanes in Moscow reserved for the politburo’s favorite limousines.) Members of the Olympic Family must also have at their disposal at least 500 air-conditioned limousines with chauffeurs wearing uniforms and caps. London must set aside, and pay for, 40,000 hotel rooms, including 1,800 four- and five-star rooms for the I.O.C. and its associates, for the entire period of the Games. London must cede to the I.O.C. the rights to all intellectual property relating to the Games, including the international trademark on the phrase “London 2012.” Although mail service and the issuance of currency are among any nation’s sovereign rights, the contract requires the British government to obtain the I.O.C.’s “prior written approval” for virtually any symbolic commemoration of the Games, including Olympic-themed postage stamps, coins, and banknotes.

And that's not all...

Comment

I'm going to some Olympic events and have been told to bring a very small bag and that I can bring an empty water bottle.

They didn't say in the email that the bottle shouldn't have any branding but as I'm sure there is an Olympic water sponsor I either have to:
          1. Check if I'm bringing a proper sports/drinks bottle that it's by one of the f*** sponsors.
          2. Rip the label of a water bottle.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I hope firearms manufacturers are not among sponsors

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I hope firearms manufacturers are not among sponsors
              I believe the Rapier SAMs on the blocks of flats had to have masking tape stuck over their branding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Hint for those who wish to ogle Victoria Pendleton's bum; her goggle sponsor is Oakley, so don't wear Ray-bans or in fact any other brand than Oakley to hide where your eyes are focussed.

Ding Dong
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  I believe the Rapier SAMs on the blocks of flats had to have masking tape stuck over their branding.
                  I think they are OK so long as the squaddies are only eating chips purchased with fish.........

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                    I think they are OK so long as the squaddies are only eating chips purchased with fish.........
                    Two bags of McMissiles and a Filet-o-scud please

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                      Because the last government passed a law making it so

London Olympic and Paralympic Games Act 2006
                      I was having a drink in London with a mate a while ago. One of his Lawyer friends turned up and told us about the new job she was about to start - 2012 Olympics brand protection.

That must have been around six years ago, they have been on to this for some time.

Comment

Working...
                      X