• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage Payments - WHat Do Feel Comfortable Paying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Actually nor do I now.

Please forget I ever said anything.
    Easily done!
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Easily done!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Ah, but the SE is also the busiest, stressiest part of the UK; fine for working, but someday you'll want to leave and live somewhere more easy going, and that's where I think you'll find some real bargains in about 10 years as the boomers leave their houses for homes or the grave.
        I see what you mean. If at all possible I'll leave my property here on rent and rather leave the UK, assuming the £ is still strong.

On the OP's post, I was looking at a property a couple of years' back with a price tag of £1m on it. It was a great plot - a sprawling bungalow that could be knocked down and a huge house built on it. The house next door (very similar site) had this done several years back and had sold for £2.8m. I needed a mortgage of £550k and actually got this approved in principal, but didn't have the balls to go for it. Repayments would have been around £3,500 a month IIRC.

And then at some point I would have needed to raise around £600,000 to built the house to bring the property up to a conservative value of around £2.5m. On the whole, it was a good proposition financially.

I had a decent contract but then that ended a year later and so I'm glad that I didn't go for the house. The pressure to maintain a stupidly high mortgage is something I don't want to go through, or at least not without a backup plan. Right now I'm mortgage free and happy in that I can survive indefinitely even without a contract - though of course I'm not up for 'just 'surviving

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Ah, but the SE is also the busiest, stressiest part of the UK ....
          Really? News to me. Seems quiet and dull to me.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Really? News to me. Seems quiet and dull to me.
            You have to leave your bedsit.

HTH
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Strewth. £3K mortgage....

Must be nuts. Move to Wales.

You could literally buy a whole street for that much a month....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Our mortgage is £380 pcm, we live just outside one of the UK's major cities.

It's a nice 3 bed semi-detached that we have almost outgrown (since baby2 arrived in November)

Cost £178,000, mortgage £148,00, £91,000 remaining (over paid massively since we bought it 4 years ago). House is maybe worth £150,000 now - doh!

I cannot even fathom £3000 pcm.

We might not live in "exciting" greater London, but it's where the family is, and there is plenty of work for me and the missus - for now anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Strewth. £3K mortgage....

Must be nuts. Move to Wales.

You could literally buy a whole street for that much a month....
                  Mrs Styles' uncle and aunt moved to Wales. They were very lonely out there, away from their family and long-time friends.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    You have to leave your bedsit.

HTH
                    Speak for your penurious self, luv.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

All going well I'm mortgage free in September

Have nice house and not planning to move again. Thank ****** for that.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X