• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Trio Of West Country Pubs Part 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Has there been any this year?
    I too am puzzled by a British holiday with sunshine
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Have you been to the Valley of the Rocks along the coast just west of Lynton / Lynmouth? If you like coastal walks you can't do much better than that IMO.
      Yes I have! It was 20 years ago however, so I'd forgotten all about it until you just reminded me.

I seem to remember watching a cricket match going on down there. Is my memory playing tricks?

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
        Yes indeed I have. It is a water powered funicular.

Once upon a time I stayed near the top of that funicular - in a very nice guesthouse run by a Swiss chap called Fritz right on the edge of the cliff overlooking Lynmouth.

The area is in fact known as "Little Switzerland" owing to the its physical geography and a number of Swiss nationals have made their homes there. Indeed, on the afternoon on which my wife and I checked in, there was a bratwurst party in full swing with all the attendees dressed in their leiderhosen. We were invited to join in but declined as we felt we weren't suitably attired. Though I did give them a demonstration of my considerable yodelling skills before we made our excuses and left.
        I didn't know about Little Switzerland Malc. I have also stayed up in Lynton in a hotel right on the edge of the hill/cliff, but I can't remember what it was called. I seem to remember a swimming pool out the back overlooking the sea though.

Coincidentally, that was for another Whodunnit, this one about the corporate treachery and mal-doings within a Japanese company. I can remember everyone dressing up for dinner one night as Japanese businessmen and ladies, although my friend Brian and I got our wires crossed and dressed instead as Japanese Kamikazee pilots! How everyone laughed as we made our entrance. Never mind, a few glasses of wine soon dulled the embarassment!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          I didn't know about Little Switzerland Malc. I have also stayed up in Lynton in a hotel right on the edge of the hill/cliff, but I can't remember what it was called. I seem to remember a swimming pool out the back overlooking the sea though.

Coincidentally, that was for another Whodunnit, this one about the corporate treachery and mal-doings within a Japanese company. I can remember everyone dressing up for dinner one night as Japanese businessmen and ladies, although my friend Brian and I got our wires crossed and dressed instead as Japanese Kamikazee pilots! How everyone laughed as we made our entrance. Never mind, a few glasses of wine soon dulled the embarassment!
          LOL! Just imagine the consternation in Lynton and Lynmouth if my thigh slapping, bratwurst munching Germanic types in leiderhosen and your Japanese kamikaze pilots were all in town on the same weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
            LOL! Just imagine the consternation in Lynton and Lynmouth if my thigh slapping, bratwurst munching Germanic types in leiderhosen and your Japanese kamikaze pilots were all in town on the same weekend!

It could have resulted in a panic evacuation up the funicular!

As it happened, we solved the crime and won the prize! It sometimes pays to let everyone else think you are incompetent fools and then, whilst they are busy watching one other, you quietly go about your own forensic intercourse.

Comment

Working...
            X