• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you you crash a plane?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    That one I know, its not the radio signals from phones, its the old type batteries that if dropped and leak can ignite the petrol vapour
    Why does switching your phone off stop you from dropping it and making the battery leak?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
      Flying home last night I was asked to switch my kindle off during takeoff.

I'm not sure it even has an 'off', but I obediently stuck it back in my bag.

Exactly why are we supposed to switch off all electronic devices? If it was that easy to crash a plane, surely all Bill Terrorist would have to do is to leave his mobile phone on? And what about digital watches? Why are they not banned too?
      Interesting because I was looking at this only yesterday. Have a read of this, it surprised me:
      Flying Lessons: Handhelds on Airplanes a Bigger Problem Than You Think

Having cited that, of course Google will reveal plenty of articles which say "no point" and "insufficient evidence" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        They still have those switch off mobile phones signs at petrol stations, but when has a mobile phone ever caused a fire at a petrol station? I very much doubt it's ever happened.
        I was about to fill up one day when the chap at the cash desk noticed someone inside a car being filled using his mobile phone. He cut all the pumps immediately and announced why he was doing it over the Tannoy.

The bloke on the phone was the self important "Do you know who I am?" type.

The garage guy won that argument.

That was in the mid-nineties though.

I really wished I'd taken the Land Rover that day
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Why does switching your phone off stop you from dropping it and making the battery leak?
          If anything, it makes it more likely you'll drop it.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

They've started to allow mobile phones in some hospitals now. Maybe airlines will get there eventually. Kindles seems to be taking things to the extreme though.
            The 1998 Nokia I had would definitely interfere with a CRT monitor. I could see a call coming in a second or so before the phone started ringing.

Comment

Kindles seems to be taking things to the extreme though.
              Many Kindles have 3G

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Interesting because I was looking at this only yesterday. Have a read of this, it surprised me:
                Flying Lessons: Handhelds on Airplanes a Bigger Problem Than You Think

Having cited that, of course Google will reveal plenty of articles which say "no point" and "insufficient evidence" etc.
                What PEDs can and in fact have already done, is create a distraction for the flight crew. When that distraction comes at the wrong time it can lead to pants-wetting episodes and maybe even disaster
                Yep, what I was saying about my old phone affecting CRT screens.

On takeoff and landing there is another danger. Portable devices should be stashed so that they don't fly around the cabin in the event of an abrupt manoeuvre.

Comment

Electronic devices won't bring down a plane but could potentially affect some onboard electronics especially in 'older' planes.

Newer planes have better shielding of instruments and cabling hence some airlines are not so fussy. In short, it depends on how old / new the aeroplane is.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The Mythbusters have tried and busted all these IIRC. That is, electronics used on planes and in petrol stations posed no risk IIRC as far they they could determine.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      The Mythbusters have tried and busted all these IIRC. That is, electronics used on planes and in petrol stations posed no risk IIRC as far they they could determine.
                      I am an engineer who has worked in flame and explosion prevention. I have also worked in the research department of a major oil company and did an investigation into fires and explosions on garage forecourts in Europe.
                      Mobile phones are not ‘intrinsically safe’, that is, they are not designed to be used in explosive atmosphere. Having said that, the RF power produced is relatively low and would be very unlikely to produce and explosion. Two people however were killed and one seriously injured a few years ago at a gas bottling plant in Europe when a mobile phone fell from one of the workers pockets. The phone was switched off at the time, as regulations stated they should be, but as the phone hit the ground the battery was dislodged and the spark ignited the gas.
                      I have also seen video footage of a fuel tanker driver being blown from the top of his vehicle when attempting to turn off his mobile phone when it rang. Ironically, if he had ignored it he probably would have been ok. Again, very unlikely to be the RF energy, but a spark from the non-intrinsically designed switch contacts.
                      The majority of fires on forecourts are caused by static and there are many reasons how and why this can occur. By far biggest reason though is because of ‘vapour recovery’. A number of filling stations in Britain have this but it is more common in mainland Europe. It is a system brought in to reduce the environmental impact of fuel vapour lost into the atmosphere whilst refuelling. A vacuum is used to suck fuel vapour from the filler back through a concentric fuel hose into the supply tank. Unfortunately this is not perfect and some fuel vapour is still present around the filler nozzle. With a high concentration of fuel vapour to air, the vapour is difficult to ignite, similarly at the other extreme, a small proportion of fuel to a lot or air is also relatively safe. The problem with Vapour Recovery means that the ratio of fuel vapour to air is now smack in the middle of the ‘explosion band’ and it is very easy to ignite!
                      In answer to the comments about using a phone inside a sealed car or on the pavement outside, this is ‘over the top’ and in the past I have been apprehended for using one inside the forecourt shop. Although tempted, instead of giving them a lecture about the actual hazards, I have just apologised and accepted that they are doing the job that they have been asked to do.
                      No matter though how low the risk is, I recommend taking the phone from your pocket and leaving it in the car! With the windows closed.
                      Bit of a long quote but I've tried to highlight the most pertinent bits.

Leave your phone in the car.

Comment

Working...
                      X