• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do permies assume we are poor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Quite.

The modern ones aren't exactly reliable.

A 50 year old one would be even worse.
    A Ferrari is like a beautiful woman. You need to learn to live with the occasional breakdown.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      A Ferrari is like a beautiful woman. You need to learn to live with the occasional breakdown.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I've never come across this; I've seen the opposite several times, but I just don't talk about money with permies. On the rare occasion that some permie goes on about it and keeps asking about how much I earn I simply say 'enough; other than that it's none of your business'.
        I dont understand this enough word in the context of earnings.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          I dont understand this enough word in the context of earnings.
          The Contractor's Dictionary states;
          Enough; 'inuff', ad. ~ that which suffices for the purchase of luxury cars, top class restaurant dinners, an adequate supply of fine burgundies, exotic holidays and hotel rooms with lots of pillows piled up on the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            one day at a time

Comment

I had a couple of conversations with some coworkers in my previous place, the attitude seemed to be that although I was probably getting more money I also had a lot more hassle than they wanted and my position was a lot less secure in the company.

They thought that the extra money did not compensate for that stress, I think that it (and the other benefits) does.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                I had a couple of conversations with some coworkers in my previous place, the attitude seemed to be that although I was probably getting more money I also had a lot more hassle than they wanted and my position was a lot less secure in the company.

They thought that the extra money did not compensate for that stress, I think that it (and the other benefits) does.
                Leave them to their delusions.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

Thats because they falsely feel safe. This safety is an illusion for which they are prepared to sacrifice a significant amount of money for. All contractors know that safety is really a significant amount of money in the bank, not a full time small payslip that only just covers your outgoings.

Comment

Originally posted by JaybeeInCUK View Post

.. most pimps add "in the current tough economic climate" part because its good psych warfare ...
                    +1

They're just trying to hint "don't expect much"
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Surely being temporary is actually an advantage? Provided you can get something else of course.

The thought of more than 2-3 years in the same place...

Sometimes the only thing keeping me going is the thought that eventually the contract will end.

This is the real downside of permiedom, the damage done to your spirit and your everlasting soul...
                      Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                      X