• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why do permies assume we are poor?"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Leave them to their delusions.
    Yep, after being made redudant 3 times and almost fired once I agree that security is a delusion brought about by lack of wanting to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    The correct answer is 10k p.a.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    ftfy
    Well said!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Because for many taxpayer subsidised permies e.g. bankers, lawyers, doctors etc etc, you are poor.

HTH
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Because for many permies e.g. bankers, lawyers, top level managers (IT or otherwise), doctors etc etc, you are poor.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I simply say "You know they pay me in Euro's" and then laugh

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I've never come across this; I've seen the opposite several times, but I just don't talk about money with permies. On the rare occasion that some permie goes on about it and keeps asking about how much I earn I simply say 'enough; other than that it's none of your business'.
    I simply say "You know they pay me in Peso's" and then laugh

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Surely being temporary is actually an advantage? Provided you can get something else of course.

The thought of more than 2-3 years in the same place...

Sometimes the only thing keeping me going is the thought that eventually the contract will end.

This is the real downside of permiedom, the damage done to your spirit and your everlasting soul...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by JaybeeInCUK View Post

.. most pimps add "in the current tough economic climate" part because its good psych warfare ...
    +1

They're just trying to hint "don't expect much"

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I had a couple of conversations with some coworkers in my previous place, the attitude seemed to be that although I was probably getting more money I also had a lot more hassle than they wanted and my position was a lot less secure in the company.

They thought that the extra money did not compensate for that stress, I think that it (and the other benefits) does.
    Thats because they falsely feel safe. This safety is an illusion for which they are prepared to sacrifice a significant amount of money for. All contractors know that safety is really a significant amount of money in the bank, not a full time small payslip that only just covers your outgoings.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I had a couple of conversations with some coworkers in my previous place, the attitude seemed to be that although I was probably getting more money I also had a lot more hassle than they wanted and my position was a lot less secure in the company.

They thought that the extra money did not compensate for that stress, I think that it (and the other benefits) does.
    Leave them to their delusions.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I dont understand this enough word in the context of earnings.
    The Contractor's Dictionary states;
    Enough; 'inuff', ad. ~ that which suffices for the purchase of luxury cars, top class restaurant dinners, an adequate supply of fine burgundies, exotic holidays and hotel rooms with lots of pillows piled up on the bed.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I've never come across this; I've seen the opposite several times, but I just don't talk about money with permies. On the rare occasion that some permie goes on about it and keeps asking about how much I earn I simply say 'enough; other than that it's none of your business'.
    I dont understand this enough word in the context of earnings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X