• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Higgs Boson announcement today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I think they are looking for 5 Sigma before they'll say it certainly exists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means only a 17 billion to one chance of error.
    Ok, its 3.5 million to one

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Challenge time...can anyone in very simple terms explain what the boson particle is and what it is trying to proove ?

Chap on the radio is trying to at the moment and is still confusing
      take a look here Higgs Boson made simple
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Challenge time...can anyone in very simple terms explain what the boson particle is and what it is trying to proove ?

Chap on the radio is trying to at the moment and is still confusing
        Essentially the higgs is a subatomic entity (particle if you like but not strictly true) that is responsible for generating/perpetuating a field called the higgs field.
        This field acts upon other particles in such a way that it creates mass.
        The best analogy i've seen is:
        imagine a lake of treacle (the higgs field). energy (particles, etc.) is passing through the lake and as it does so some of the treacle sticks to the energy, slowing it down. The amount of treacle sticking to the energy is unique to each unit of energy (all energy has different charcteristics) and so each bit of energy slows down differently although similar types of energy slow down similarly. The slowing down is equivalent to adding mass (energy is mass afterall).
        makes sense? probably not. i have an undergraduate in physics and i struggle with these concepts these days. it's been a while since i left uni
        Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Hmmm, doesn't make sense really.

Are you sure it's not the interference patterns created by the outlet eletroplasma medium power and the omnidirectional holo-diode generated force fields?
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            Hmmm, doesn't make sense really.

Are you sure it's not the interference patterns created by the outlet eletroplasma medium power and the omnidirectional holo-diode generated force fields?
            no that's the Holodeck you Trekky
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              no that's the Holodeck you Trekky
              Ah, no wonder my world seems so small - thanks chef!
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
                Essentially the higgs is a subatomic entity (particle if you like but not strictly true) that is responsible for generating/perpetuating a field called the higgs field.
                This field acts upon other particles in such a way that it creates mass.
                The best analogy i've seen is:
                imagine a lake of treacle (the higgs field). energy (particles, etc.) is passing through the lake and as it does so some of the treacle sticks to the energy, slowing it down. The amount of treacle sticking to the energy is unique to each unit of energy (all energy has different charcteristics) and so each bit of energy slows down differently although similar types of energy slow down similarly. The slowing down is equivalent to adding mass (energy is mass afterall).
                makes sense? probably not. i have an undergraduate in physics and i struggle with these concepts these days. it's been a while since i left uni
                It's all greek to me
                one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
                  It's all greek to me
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You can never be really certain you've seen a particle which is everywhere at once, can you.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. True they have found something that looks like Higgs Boson hiding in one of the physicist's old coat pockets. But what if it turns out what they have found is actually Higg's Button? Red faces all round.
                      Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Working...
                      X