• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is your greatest weakness?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    This is one of those questions that makes me wonder how stupid the interviewer really is. What the hell do they want me to say? How about something along the lines of; 'stripping off, jumping up and down on my desk and singing 'look at my willy' to the tune of Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries.'
    Wow! I thought i was the only one who'd ever done that.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've been asked where do you see yourself in x years ... for a 6 month gig, but if someone asks me what would I consider my weaknesses I usually reply that I don't do documentation very well and prefer to write good readable code with the occasional comment

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
        Has anyone ever actually been asked this question or is it just some urban myth? Nobody has ever asked me this question and I've never heard it asked in any interview I've sat in on.
        I've been asked something similar to that in an interview before - "tell me three negatives about yourself". I can't remember what I said, probably the usual "I'm a perfectionist" but I found out later that one of the candidates for the job had given the answer "my nose is too big".
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I like to 'strip off, and jump up and down on the (heavily reinforced) desk, singing 'find my willy' to the tune of Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries.'
          FTFY

Comment

When applying for Unix jobs;
            'I'm quite normal Monday to Thursday but Friday is my Orc day.'

When applying for a job as a bank director;
            'I have a complex relationship with the truth'

When applying for testing jobs;
            'I am better at breaking things than making things'
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              When applying for Unix jobs;
              'I'm quite normal Monday to Thursday but Friday is my Orc day.'

When applying for a job as a bank director;
              'I have a complex relationship with the truth'

When applying for testing jobs;
              'I am better at breaking things than making things'
              When applying for PM roles;
              'I am better at telling, than doing'

This could run

Comment

Port and stilton. Fortunately, I'm blessed with excellent genetics and my cholesterol is very low.

I once got asked "Why should we hire you over anybody else?". I answered, "I work hard and I'm a really nice guy" which seemed to get a laugh (and the job).

My opinion is that you don't want to alienate the interviewer for the rest of the interview as that's just impolite so I muddle through the "HR" questions, and put a black mark in the "culture" box when assessing the client.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

My opinion is that you don't want to alienate the interviewer for the rest of the interview as that's just impolite so I muddle through the "HR" questions, and put a black mark in the "culture" box when assessing the client.
                  100% on the money; if you want the gig, why be impolite, or obtuse, or even evasive?

Comment

What is my greatest weakness?

I always need to have the last word.

Supremespod.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      ...I don't think I believe there's anyone who'd say 'now thats just a silly question' at a gig they were interested in, that really doesn't make any sense at all.
                      The two are mutually exclusive. If that question is asked, and they really want an answer, then I really don't want the gig.

Of course, if your only option is MacDonalds, then you just have to go with it.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X