• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

chilli's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    will give the chilli chutney a try, the chilli's are 'Fireflame' (Capsicum annuum longum)
    Ah, the long boys. They look good on string, btw. Nice pickled too.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      Ah, the long boys. They look good on string, btw. Nice pickled too.
      so are they hot? or not?

i.e should i go easy on how many I use or as I expect throw a load in and treat them as a slightly hotter pepper than a real thai grade spicy chilli.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        so are they hot? or not?

i.e should i go easy on how many I use or as I expect throw a load in and treat them as a slightly hotter pepper than a real thai grade spicy chilli.
        They're not rated highly, something like 40,000 Scoville units. I'd say taste one raw, and see how you feel about it. Everyone has different levels of heat. I munch on Habaneros chillies on salads (300k SCU), yet some people piss their pants eating a jalapeno (5k SCU). Depends what you are used to, and what you like. I once made a chilli with a Bhut Jolokia and it was the worst thing I have made; sometimes you can make stuff too hot, so taste one, then decide from there. They are smoother, less hot, if you deseed them too, so factor that in.

Comment

Chilli jam:

4 red peppers
          10 chillis
          500g Sugar
          200ml cider vinegar

Whizz chillis and de seeded peppers in a food processor till roughly chopped. Stick them in a pan with the vinegar and sugar and boil rapidly for 10 mins or till reduced.

You can also vary the recipe by adding red onions, garlic, ginger, shallot, tomatoes or give it a Thai variation by adding lime juice, grated lemongrass and fish sauce.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            They're not rated highly, something like 40,000 Scoville units. I'd say taste one raw, and see how you feel about it. Everyone has different levels of heat. I munch on Habaneros chillies on salads (300k SCU), yet some people piss their pants eating a jalapeno (5k SCU). Depends what you are used to, and what you like. I once made a chilli with a Bhut Jolokia and it was the worst thing I have made; sometimes you can make stuff too hot, so taste one, then decide from there. They are smoother, less hot, if you deseed them too, so factor that in.
            Also factor in that some chillies will lose their heat when cooked, often you will taste something that will blow your head off raw and once cooked it can mellow out.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Chilli jam:

4 red peppers
              10 chillis
              500g Sugar
              200ml cider vinegar

Whizz chillis and de seeded peppers in a food processor till roughly chopped. Stick them in a pan with the vinegar and sugar and boil rapidly for 10 mins or till reduced.

You can also vary the recipe by adding red onions, garlic, ginger, shallot, tomatoes or give it a Thai variation by adding lime juice, grated lemongrass and fish sauce.
              WSS!

Chilli Jam is very morish
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                WSS!

Chilli Jam is very morish
                Get a shoulder of Lamb, make some cuts in it, and rub chilli jam all over, then slow roast it. A rare treat.

Comment

Will chillis grow outside in England or are they a window-sill crop? We're thinking to grow some things in the back-yard like herbs and strawberries, chillis would make a great addition.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Will chillis grow outside in England or are they a window-sill crop? We're thinking to grow some things in the back-yard like herbs and strawberries, chillis would make a great addition.
                    I grow mine indoors, starting in January to grow seedlings, then grow them on a south facing window. We have full height windows where I put mine, so they get sun all day round. Make sure, if you're away, you keep the heating on. I normally transfer them to a greenhouse in late april, May, when I know the frosts have gone. Then drop them outside in July.

They've not actually made it to the greenhouse this year, such has been the weather.

Some types will grow outside, but not many, and none of the nice ones, they have to be looked after. Can you put a cloche anywhere, or a greenhouse?

Some varieties are cracking, like a chocolatey chippottle, to a sweet F1 hybrid, to a small but fierce Prarie fire. They will grow, and grow well, but they really do need some care.

Comment

I don't bother growing chillies anymore. We have an excellent Asian shop 10 mins away that sell a wide variety of fresh chillies at a few pence per fist-full.

They also sell this . . .

. . . which is not only very hot, but fabulously flavoured, too (a snip at £2 a jar!!).

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                      X