• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do part time (3 days per week) contracting roles exist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do 3 days actual work each week, but I get to bill for 5 days

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      This - except you use it as a negotiation compromise for your rate rise. "Yes, I'll renew, but I need an extra £50 a day." <client squeal> "Oh, you can't afford it? What if I only work 4 days a week?" Win/win
      Client co told on my last renewal that after a healthy 14 month run, performing an interim role fixing various long term issues While they reorganise client co, that I've finally drained the budget pot dry however, due to their lack of planning skills they haven't done anything about reorganising or even thinking about how my current role should be merged with the rest of client co environment now that the issues are mostly fixed and it is more a case of optimising, administrating and improving. Therefore they are very reluctant to let "the expertise" (their words not mine) leave.

Their first train of thought was to outsource to bob but thankfully bob showed very early on that they were incompetent and would have caused major issues with their proposed solutions, thus putting client co off this option for a long time.

Their current train off thought is that now most of the firefighting has been done that maybe I could work part time (obviously with longer deadlines etc.). I'm keen, as any income topping up the war chest is better than nothing but then I could also do with working less per week to get the new house sorted.

What I am interested in is how by working less days per week this could possibly translate to a rate rise? If client co have no budget then they are unlikely to agree paying more per day for a shorter working week.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If there's no budget, it's going to be difficult.

In my case they wanted to renew five days a week at previous (lowish) rate. So I suggested 4 days at higher rate - it's actually working out really well as I got a 200 days contract over a year, so it's completely flexible - extra days here and there for a few longer holidays.

Comment

I once had two contracts, a 15 day one and a 20 day one, that I just jumbled up over a few months as I saw fit and was convenient for the clients. At the moment I'm prefering steady income to rebuild the warchest but once that's done I'd like to go back to part timing. 5 days a week is too much.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I once had two contracts, a 15 day one and a 20 day one, that I just jumbled up over a few months as I saw fit and was convenient for the clients. At the moment I'm prefering steady income to rebuild the warchest but once that's done I'd like to go back to part timing. 5 days a week is too much.
            Am just taking on a short 2 day per week contract to run alongside my 3 day one.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              I have done several 3 day per week contracts. Am doing two at the moment.

In every case it has been with clients I know, where I have said at renewal or at start that I can only offer 3 days. I like the lifestyle and I can push rates up.
              over 5 days per week??
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                What I am interested in is how by working less days per week this could possibly translate to a rate rise? If client co have no budget then they are unlikely to agree paying more per day for a shorter working week.
                Well, the point is, they want to keep you, for the experience you have, but do not have the need for full time.

So lets say you are on £500/day, £2500/week.

You drop to 3 days a week, and get an increase to £550/day, £1650/week.

Client gets to keep you, and you get an increase to sweeten the fact you are working less.

It won't cover your original 5 days of course, but they should be happy, less cost, retained experience.

Comment

Originally posted by notting View Post
                  Hi Guys,

I am looking for a IT contracting role which is 3 days per week (business analysis, requirements, process, project management, digital, etc.) - the other days of the week I will be working on my own tech startup.

Will I be able to find a role like this?

Opinions please!

Thanks,
                  Notting
                  No if you are relying on agencies.

maybe/probably if you have developed your own clients
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                  X