• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desperate jobseeker sets himself alight outside Selly Oak jobcentre

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if any of them end up doing 14 hour days unpaid and then don't get benefits.

Still as long as the innocent poor get to pay for this mess while the rich and those with massive mortgages have the best recession ever, all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I wonder if any of them end up doing 14 hour days unpaid and then don't get benefits.

Still as long as the innocent poor get to pay for this mess while the rich and those with massive mortgages have the best recession ever, all is well.
      you sound twitter and bisted.

You work for nuthin, hoping they will see your worth, interview you, then offer you a job.

some of them are genuine, and will offer an interview to a promising prospect

some of them are not genuine and will exploit their victims.

So whats your advice TW ? dont even bother trying ?

no

Some of these poor sods do eventually get a decent job through schemes like this. some move on up the greasy pole. some even get quite high up that pole

some are destined to get nowhere past the flipping burger stage. whos fault is that ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        you sound twitter and bisted.

You work for nuthin, hoping they will see your worth, interview you, then offer you a job.

some of them are genuine, and will offer an interview to a promising prospect

some of them are not genuine and will exploit their victims.

So whats your advice TW ? dont even bother trying ?

no

Some of these poor sods do eventually get a decent job through schemes like this. some move on up the greasy pole. some even get quite high up that pole

some are destined to get nowhere past the flipping burger stage. whos fault is that ?

I recall you were bitter and twisted (and thieving) when you were in a more cosier circumstances than are prevalent today for the poor, from which through luck and perseverance you escaped.

I was referring to a circumstance in which someone is exploited, is not offered a paying job and receives no benefit. Ideally the scheme you refer to would be monitored to ensure that employers are not just flipping people and that benefits are paid for those that are on it. Fat chance though I expect. I don't know much about the scheme but I don't see how it creates jobs that didn't exist to someone who would have applied anyway.

Comment

I can sympathise. It's ok for us (allegedly) smart fellas who know the system, but for I was benched (albeit voluntarily) for Jan/Feb, but to get JSA had to attend some stupid 'Help-Back-to-Work' program run by some offshoot of a recruitment co, basically conisisted of coming in three times a week for an hour (in addition to signing on), doing some job searches, showing what jobs I applied for, signing the class register and then buggering off. The bimbo who was my 'Advisor' took one look at my cv and blatantly admittied, "You're way too smart for us to place". Reality is, SHE is way too dumb.

Not too dumb though to not try calling me up after a few weeks at work, asking me the name of my current employer (hmmm...where have I heard that one before?), as they get a nice £400 bonus, in addition to their actual rates, for every person they get off JSA. I told her to go finger her ugly fwat tat.

Effectively it's just Davy Camerwrong's method of harrassing people looking for jobs. They don't do anything more than the staff at the actual Jobcentre, who have about as much commercial acumen as a monkey. I'm of an age where I remember all you had to do to get dole was turn up, sign on, and bye-bye. Didn't matter if you turned up a couple of hours early or late. AND they actually tried to put you into a job.

Nowadays all they can do is spy on your job-seeking efforts. Morons, the lot of them.

Comment

With the price of petrol going through the roof, soon even self-immolation won't be an option. Bloody disgrace.

Actually I think there should be special suits for people who want to self-immolate. You would get the blaze of glory but without the nasty dying bit. It would be dangerous, sort of like fireworks, but not as dangerous as the real thing. And with big groups of protestors literally burning with rage, it would be quite a display.
            Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
              Actually I think there should be special suits for people who want to self-immolate.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Very distressing story - I feel very upset for the person concerned.

Comment

When it comes to heartless bureaucracy, you cannot beat Jobcentre staff !
                  All done by the book and designed to frustrate and inhibit people from getting was is due to them.
                  Jobseekers allowance is an embarassing pittance.
                  I was briefly unemployed after working and paying taxes and NI all my 'natural' and to be given £65 is an insult and expected to travel around Britain for interviews.
                  Luckily I had family who could help.
                  Our benefits system is shameful and destined to get worse under the nasty Tories !
                  £65 is better than fook all though.

Cannot understand the bleeding heart lefty liberal hand wringers on this board.

The conuntry has no money and therefore those who feed of the country withou putting anything in are going to suffer.

Why is that such a bad thing?

Comment

You can feed a family of four for a day on what a gallon of petrol costs. how desperate do you have to be to burn it
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      £65 is better than fook all though.

Cannot understand the bleeding heart lefty liberal hand wringers on this board.

The conuntry has no money and therefore those who feed of the country withou putting anything in are going to suffer.

Why is that such a bad thing?

Because one day it might be you.

Comment

Working...
                      X