• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2012 'Top to Toe' Expedition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Starting to get seriously north.

Did you let the van hire company know that there might be an extra 10,000 miles on the clock when you take it back?
    Steady on..
    im a contractor

I.ll buy a new kia next year

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

and talking about immigration (another thread)

in 5 days we have been in
      England,France,Belgium,NL,Germany,Denmark,Sweden,N orway

we were asked for our passports once....in the uk, by froggies immigration
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        I hope you get to see the aurora. Didn't see it in Norway probly cos I got deported not long after getting there.
        Don't go encouraging him to go chasing the aurora - remember what happened last time someone on here did that?

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        and talking about immigration (another thread)

in 5 days we have been in
        England,France,Belgium,NL,Germany,Denmark,Sweden,N orway

we were asked for our passports once....in the uk, by froggies immigration
        Once you crossed the border into France you entered the Schengen agreement area and there will be no more border immigration controls until you leave it.

There is a brewery in Tromsø (it is important to distinguish the 'o' from the 'ø' for pronunciation purposes) that when I visited was also home to the British Consulate which I for some reason found quite amusing. Is it still there?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          Don't go encouraging him to go chasing the aurora - remember what happened last time someone on here did that?

Once you crossed the border into France you entered the Schengen agreement area and there will be no more border immigration controls until you leave it.

There is a brewery in Tromsø (it is important to distinguish the 'o' from the 'ø' for pronunciation purposes) that when I visited was also home to the British Consulate which I for some reason found quite amusing. Is it still there?
          It's the most northerly brewery in the world according to the wiki, and presumably by definition is the edge of civilisation. No auroras visible in summer months also according to the wiki.

Comment

Does your Bus pass cover the whole of Europe?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Does your Bus pass cover the whole of Europe?

This marks the arctic circle, just north of Mo i Rana

my arctic snow - optimist

Note the intricate detail, head, body , arms, belly button

I am off to find that brewery and that consulate.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Day 5 -travelled to Tromso 395 miles
                day 6 - rested most of the day in Tromso
                Day 7- drove out exploring to the East
                Day 8 - Drove up through the islands to the North
                Day 9 - today. we will walk across the Bridge and take the cable car to the top of the mountain opposite

Prices up here are very high. food is x3 UK prices, £58 last night for a take away curry for 2. It costs a hundred quid to go out for a few beers and a kebab. I found Gonzo's brewery and the local pilsner is very palatable. The locals love the British, which is nice.

We did the laundry the day before yesterday. Sounds simple doesnt't it? we did the laundry.

Not up here it isnt. First off, reception said there was no laundrette, but we could get it done in their laundry service. 'great' says I. Is it free ?

er.. no, £13 per kilo. for 10 kg
                So I says to Mrs EO 'Is it really worth paying £150 just to get my socks and undies smelling nice ??'
                'It's worth £250' she says.

So I googled the hotels in Tromso that had laundry services, found two then tried to bunk in. I got stopped at reception in the first, and got booted out.
                In the second I followed loads of corridors then found myself in a chinese laundry with sheets and pillow cases everywhere. so I beat a hasty.
                Next plan was to drive to a campsite to bunk in there, but the laundry room doors had security codes. So I went to the camp office and they let me have an hour for £5.
                We accidentally stayed a little while over, it took us nearly three hours to get it all washed and dried.

We have a big window in the room. It opens sideways, which is no good if it rains while we are out.
                The other morning Mrs EO shouted through to me 'hey the wind opens at the top as well. we can leave it open all day'
                Then there was a scream 'HELP HELP'
                So I rushed in. The window was completely out of it's frame, and Mrs EO was struggling to hold it up, and trying to stop it falling into the street.
                It opens both ways, but the latches on side and bottom should never be undone at the same time. She made me promise never to tell anyone, so I want you to read this, then eat the internet.

This fellow reminds me of someone

Wind skiers in the Ullsfjorden, near the ferry crossing. The wind whistles down between the high peaks, and is funnelled here, making it a perfect spot for these guys

mountains

and fjords

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 12 July 2012, 09:48.
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Parrots?
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I found Gonzo's brewery and the local pilsner is very palatable. The locals love the British, which is nice.

I noticed the other day that I have two small boot-shaped tasting glasses from that brewery, sitting on a shelf, not used in god-knows-how-many years.

Can't wait to hear more about the epic voyage.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

I noticed the other day that I have two small boot-shaped tasting glasses from that brewery, sitting on a shelf, not used in god-knows-how-many years.

Can't wait to hear more about the epic voyage.

Day 10 - We left Tromso on Friday 13th July at 7:00.
                      We came down through Finland, crossed the artic circle and headed for Umea, Sweden. 599 miles.
                      Finland was by far the most impressive country we have seen so far. Pristine country, lots of wild life, very friendly people with sing song voices, cheap too.
                      Umea has four hours dark at this time of year, is in the Auroral belt, and there are many CME's lately. A perfect chance to see the aurora.
                      We stayed up till midnight but it was 10/10 cloud. maybe tomorrow night.

Day 11 -rested in Umea. Walked across the river into the centrum and whiled away the hours in the Bishops arms getting lashed. The beer is expensive, but cheaper than Norway. 7£ a pint. The bar staff were fantastic.
                      Slept for 5 hours then got up for the viewing, Cliphead reported a CME, brilliant. 10/10 cloud again. not brilliant

Day 12 - Travelled south through very heavy rain to JonCoping , Sweden, 579 miles. Then the skies cleared. Stopped in the quality hotel, very nice. The CME was reported red, the skies were clear, it was dark.

I watched from midnight till 2am - nothing. just a beautiful sunset, and a wonderful back-glow. This was probably the best chance Mrs EO will ever have to see a planned viewing. It will have to happen by chance now, or never

Day 13 - Left the hotel at 09 :00. travelled down to Malmo then across the Oresund bridges to Denmark. Spent all the Norge, Sveige and DK cash on beer and wine and burgers, then headed into Germany.
                      It was a tough old day, and we headed for Dessau. 690 miles.
                      Occupied by the Soviets in the cold war, it is a major sh!t hole. Grim , concrete, no street lights, no road signs, everywhere closed, dirty. Half the traffic lights were dead. It's hard to believe we are in square-head land.
                      Got an Etap hotel for 30 odd quid. Maybe Dessau's not to bad after all.

Tunnels under Tromso
                      Tromso has lots of rough hewn tunnels and they use them for parking. It's an amazing sight, they go on for miles.

One for Shaunboy - turf roos in Norway. Very common on houses in the Trondheim area.

Black tulips in Tromso, by the Cathedral

looks like rain dear

Arctic circle in Finland

He ran like the wind

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X