• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2012 'Top to Toe' Expedition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

I was in rome once before, and hating to admit to this, I got into a discussion about money with this bloke in a car it is a long story). I told him that I only had €200. He asked me to prove it, so I did, and he snatched the wallet from my hand. Cannot believe I did it (and nor did my apoplectic wife). Hey ho. Hating to generalise, especially given one of my nans is Italian, but it is a country full of fly be nites, thieves and crooks.
    Bit dumb. You may need this then.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Bit dumb. You may need this then.
      "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MarillionFan again."

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Bit of a long drive day 7 - day 8?
        not really, we did a couple of 1,000 milers, in our time, maybe more. The memorable one was Townsville to Toowoomba, near Brisbane, 900 miles. when we had 7 foot kangeroos jumping over the bonnet in the dark, we decided it was time to stop

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          not really, we did a couple of 1,000 milers, in our time, maybe more. The memorable one was Townsville to Toowoomba, near Brisbane, 900 miles. when we had 7 foot kangeroos jumping over the bonnet in the dark, we decided it was time to stop

My wife and I know that road very well, having drive Brissy to Cairns many times.

We once drove around the coast of Aus. On a few days, we didn't see anyone else, apart from at the road stops. We too, one night, decided it was time to pull over near Derby when we brished a very large cow we'd not seen in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            My wife and I know that road very well, having drive Brissy to Cairns many times.

We once drove around the coast of Aus. On a few days, we didn't see anyone else, apart from at the road stops. We too, one night, decided it was time to pull over near Derby when we brished a very large cow we'd not seen in the dark.
            There’s no call to be rude to road casualties even if she was fat
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

And they're off
              we are in the Arctic circle, in the land of the midnight sun. It's been a tough old few days, but now we are finally there.
              Day 1 Manchester - Schleswig via Dover 843 miles
              Day 2 -Oslo 543 miles
              Day 3 resting in Oslo
              Day 4 - just north of Mo i Rana, 610 miles

we will leave tomorrow at first light...no wait...there is no first light.
              we will leave tomorrow at 8 oclock for Tromso, and thats the closest I am ever likely to get to the North pole.

So far Mrs EO has enjoyed Oslo immensely, the trip so far has been worth it just for that. We had a cracking first evening after a long journey, then a great day sightseeing and sampling the coffee and food.

I have a lot more detail, but my head is buzzing right now. and the floor is moving. and thats without a beer

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Cool. What gadget are you using to access the interweb?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Cool. What gadget are you using to access the interweb?
                  Using mrs EO laptop on the hotel wifi.

currently logged on in the THON hotel in Tromso.

we headed up through the Arctic circle today, and now we have a base of operations.

we could visit Finland , Russia or Sweden.

Found an old bar in Tromso called 'pub'

full of bikers and hippies and cheap ale and good old boys.

fantastic. looks like you have to travel to the ends of the earth in order to find a bunch of people you like to have a beer and a gab with.

met a Norge woman on the road today in a petrol station. The assistant was having trouble understanding me, and this 60 year old bird muscles in, in English.
                  'Its ok, I recognise his accent, I'LL HELP. Now, what part of Germany are you from?'
                  'errr... I'm from England'
                  'I KNEW IT...WINDSOR, ...RIGHT?'
                  'errr... Liverpool actually.'

'AH YES. I WAS MARRIED TO AN ENGLISHMAN FROM WINDSOR. WE SPENT 14 YEARS TOGETHER MENDING AND MAKING YATCHS. BIT OF A BASTARD REALLY, I LEFT HIM IN THE END. ANYWAY, DRIVE SAFELY AND BUY A STADTCOFFEEMUG FOR FREE COFFEE, ANYWHERE IN SCANDA'

jeez. women eh ? always trying to boss you around

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

I hope you get to see the aurora. Didn't see it in Norway probly cos I got deported not long after getting there.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Starting to get seriously north.

Did you let the van hire company know that there might be an extra 10,000 miles on the clock when you take it back?

Comment

Working...
                      X