• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone built a garden office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Sasguru did, he spent ~£2 million.
    so did SY01

Comment

Originally posted by spondit View Post
      Morning all,

I've decided to take the plunge and replace the shed at the bottom of my garden with a home office...
      go for it! i'm working from mine now. i didn't build it though - the previous owners installed it as a classroom for their taught-at-home kids. it's 18 feet by 10 has and is ideal for me and my stuff. it gets a bit cold in the winter though - i need to improve the insulation...

Comment

I like the offices from Dunster House but can this be claimed as a company expense? Technically it can be moved if you moved house so should not add to the capital gain (if any) on your own property

Comment

couldn't your ltd buy it outright?
          If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
            couldn't your ltd buy it outright?
            Exactly my question

Comment

Talked it over with the accountant and if its for business use only, not attached to my property and can be moved if we move house and can be financially justified then it should be ok. I look at it this way.

A day office rate at Regus costs £40-£55 per day

If we assume a 40 week working year and 2 days working at home per week, that’s 80 days per year

Using the lowest rate that’s £40 *80 = £3,200 per year

Over a 3 year period this is £9,600

Most of the garden offices I've seen come in under this level so the office will pay for itself over this period of time and save company money in the longer term.

Perfectly justifiable to Hector in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
                Over a 3 year period this is £9,600

Most of the garden offices I've seen come in under this level so the office will pay for itself over this period of time and save company money in the longer term.

Perfectly justifiable to Hector in my opinion.
                You don't work weekends on a plan b at all?

check your public liability & house insurance if you invite guests/customers.

Don't forget travel & the ability to share costs (phone, Coffee etc).
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

When I bought this house, there was an outer building down the garden already, but had no facilities, I converted it into a studio flat, with a small kitchenette and small shower room added. I spent a lot more than 3K on it, the drainage connection was a pain as it had to be connected up hill towards the house, plus installed its own boiler and heating etc. Its beautiful, but cost me a lot of money (around 9K)

So you are saying I could expense the costs of the conversion from my company?

Comment

Is it soley for business use?

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
                      Is it soley for business use?
                      Errr no, in fact I ended up using it for something nothing to do with home office lol

Comment

Working...
                      X