• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software Source Control Versioning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Git's main purpose is showing off how modern and cool and FOSS-aware you are.
    Nope it's fast, extremely reliable, distributed, easy to setup, low footprint and generally awesome.

Comment

Git's main purpose is showing off how modern and cool and FOSS-aware you are.
      I agree.

GIT is an ego driven project taken up be ego driven users.

"WE ARE USING GIT OVER HERE, WE WANT TO SEND OUT LOADS OF MAILS ABOUT IT"

"WE USE LEGO ON OUT AGILE TEAM, DO YOU?"

"ARE YOU USING SVN? WE HAVE GIT, DO YOU KNOW WHAT GIT IS?"

stfu

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I agree.
        I tried git and it was too complex for me, I need little pictures to click cause I am thick

FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
          Nope it's fast, extremely reliable, distributed, easy to setup, low footprint and generally awesome.
          A bit like your wife.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            A bit like your wife.

Comment

I set it up to play with. It's one of those open-source projects that you have to build before you can use it. So first download the code, then spend half an hour reading the instructions on how to build. Then spend another hour trying to find somewhere to download the build system it's using. Then spend another hour trying to work out how to build that...
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I set it up to play with. It's one of those open-source projects that you have to build before you can use it. So first download the code, then spend half an hour reading the instructions on how to build. Then spend another hour trying to find somewhere to download the build system it's using. Then spend another hour trying to work out how to build that...
                ******* clueless, you can install git using apt, yum there are installer for osx, windows.

Comment

SVN is fast, reliable, easy to setup, etc as well. It's also very easy to use.

You shouldn't feel like you've accomplished something when you manage to commit your code... it's a key principle of software tools that the harder they are to use, the more people won't bother.

And no you don't need to build it yourself whoever complained about that... getting Git on my Windows PC was quite straightforward and it works fine, it's just understanding how to use it that is a PITA. We use the github flow which is about as simple as it gets and still SVN is much easier.

DVCS are very cool at merging but I would rather have SVN that can do the merging properly in the first place.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    After a bit of help from our learned developers, does anyone have any resources that show's the benefits of source code version labeling, either power point presentation or white papers etc?!

I am trying to work with a load of developers that don't quite understand the concept, and I am hoping pretty pictures and small words might make it easier for them to understand.
                    What developers in this day and age don't understand version control? Even Bobs use VC ffs.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

SVN is fast, reliable, easy to setup, etc as well. It's also very easy to use.

You shouldn't feel like you've accomplished something when you manage to commit your code... it's a key principle of software tools that the harder they are to use, the more people won't bother.

And no you don't need to build it yourself whoever complained about that... getting Git on my Windows PC was quite straightforward and it works fine, it's just understanding how to use it that is a PITA. We use the github flow which is about as simple as it gets and still SVN is much easier.

DVCS are very cool at merging but I would rather have SVN that can do the merging properly in the first place.
                      How is git clone or git commit or git push or git pull..hard? Maybe I am over estimating the intelligence of some of you, I had some of you pegged slightly above moron but looks like I was being optimistic.

Comment

Working...
                      X