• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New motor needed :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    My, you are in a good mood today NLUK

I can add what NOT to do

Don't get a loan,

Don't buy a ten year old MR2 Roadster from a hooky garage in Reading

Don't then get it serviced for two years at Toyota Maidenhead, and discover that half the work done was just made up.

Don't get it fixed then accept 2 dodgy attempts to fix the repair that wen't wrong - and let the warranty expire.

I would recommend a Golf or Polo though, as they seem to last forever.
    Got a Golf 1.9 TDI 2 years ago on finance at £250/month and nearly paid it off. Golf is mechanically reliable but awful to drive. I'd recommend going Japanese preferably Toyota. Get a Yaris and you will never be disappointed.

Comment

My, you are in a good mood today NLUK

I can add what NOT to do

Don't get a loan,

Don't buy a ten year old MR2 Roadster from a hooky garage in Reading

Don't then get it serviced for two years at Toyota Maidenhead, and discover that half the work done was just made up.

Don't get it fixed then accept 2 dodgy attempts to fix the repair that wen't wrong - and let the warranty expire.

Revealing my business model will put you in breach of copyright laws. expect a call from my lawyer
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I agree: my Polo did 85k in 4 years & never had a problem

My last & current car were both diesel (that’s due to a CO2 restriction on my car allowance more than anything else)

Just handed in the Polo: very cheap to run & reasonable on the motorway, just got a Golf Estate 1.6 tdi & it’s great: just as cheap to run but quieter & a more comfortable drive.

I have only had 3 cars so my experience is limited, my first was a Ford Ka, the general build & reliability of the VW piddled all over the Ford & I will never have another one.
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          I agree: my Polo did 85k in 4 years & never had a problem

My last & current car were both diesel (that’s due to a CO2 restriction on my car allowance more than anything else)

Just handed in the Polo: very cheap to run & reasonable on the motorway, just got a Golf Estate 1.6 tdi & it’s great: just as cheap to run but quieter & a more comfortable drive.

I have only had 3 cars so my experience is limited, my first was a Ford Ka, the general build & reliability of the VW piddled all over the Ford & I will never have another one.
          You aint tried Japanese - Toyota are the best value cars out there. Take the Yaris/Corolla/Auris/Avensis for example - Excellent economy, comfort, reliability, anti-depreciation.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            You aint tried Japanese .
            I find them a little on the small size
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

You aint tried Japanese - Toyota are the best value cars out there. Take the Yaris/Corolla/Auris/Avensis for example - Excellent economy, comfort, reliability, anti-depreciation.
              I agree but Toyota make some of the most boring cars on the road these days, I generally buy Japanese but I've never considered a Toyota in the past 10 years.

I looked at a Lexus IS200 but the back seats don't fold, how daft is that??
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I agree but Toyota make some of the most boring cars on the road these days, I generally buy Japanese but I've never considered a Toyota in the past 10 years.

I looked at a Lexus IS200 but the back seats don't fold, how daft is that??
                Very daft, but I don't think Toyota are boring at all. I have a Toyota Corolla 54 plate which I bought with 6k on the clock 2 years ago. Some old granny had been using it for 6 years to do the weekly shop and still managed to service it every year at 1k intervals! Honestly its the nicest small car I have driven and has full specs - beats my Golf any day.

Comment

Very daft, but I don't think Toyota are boring at all. I have a Toyota Corolla 54 plate which I bought with 6k on the clock 2 years ago. Some old granny had been using it for 6 years to do the weekly shop and still managed to service it every year at 1k intervals! Honestly its the nicest small car I have driven and has full specs - beats my Golf any day.
                  I had a Corolla AE86. Wonderful car. The rest are tulipe though. As for Value, well, they are fairly expensive, imo and don't make one currently that I'd like, apart from the GT86, that's still over priced, imo.

Fords feel expensive in the parts that you can see, and cheap as chips in the parts you can't.

Just come out of a short term lease with an Audi A3 1.9TDi. Dull as dishwater to drive, but I'd return 70mpg popping up and down the M6 at 70mph and we cheap skates like that. Very good quality too. I had a 320D touring before that and it almost put my back out it was so stiff. I also couldn't get 2 childrens seats in it. Madness.

If your commute is really small, how about leasing a Renault twizzy? Look all sorts of fun, and would be almost free to run. Get it through the company on 0% BiK I think, as it's 0 emissions.

Oooh, love thinking about cars...

Comment

Working...
                  X