• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New motor needed :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Not my cup of tea, I don't like putting on a glove to fill up and they sound tulip.

Fine if you're towing a caravan I suppose?
    Or punt past some lame towing a caravan. I find normally aspirated smaller cars asthmatic on the back roads, but diesel cars easily punt past stuff, due to having much better torque characteristics.

Hey ho.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      I'd disagree about not buying a diesel, as it gives a much better driving experience, regardless of the fuel economy, imo
      They are noisier than petrol engines though.

Comment

What happened to the good old days when contractors talked about Aston Martins and Porsches?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          They are noisier than petrol engines though.
          NVH is pretty good in the newer diesels. I tend not to hang my head out of the window when driving too, so cant really hear the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            My father-in-law traded in an 07' C-Class 220D estate, black, sport with flappy paddles and 17,000 on the clock, immaculate inside and out.

I was looking to change at around that time and he only told me when it was too late.
            My father did the same trick on me with several decent motors in a row when I was younger.

It really pissed me off.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              no point having money in the bank if you owe money (that's what Alvin Hall always says) take the dividend from the warchest and pay cash buy a decent second hand one a couple of years old thats allready depreciated if you end up back on the bench sell it again and buy a banger then do same again when your back in contract
              Yes, normally good idea but I think a decent warchest is a priority....

OK, so get benched - 6-9 months money in warchest - you're ok for now.

Buy car and spend most of warchest. tulipe - sell car quick. not so cool.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                Aye, I'm there at the moment, I lease an Audi A1 which costs me near £300 a month which is a bit ouch while i'm benched. I'd lease again though as I only take local contracts so mileage isn't an issue and its lovely getting my pick of a shiny new motor every 2 years. Am liking the A1 but paying a bit over the odds as went for a fully specced one with all the toys and gadgets and the fancy paintwork, originally thought it may be a little small but is actually pretty roomy and feels like a big motor while on the motorway. Another benefit of the smaller motor is I dont get hammered for tax and get some kind of tax breaks for tree-hugging.
                Leasing looks good but Im just concerned about the implications of more mileage if next contract is far away... And the fact that with leasing your tied and you cant just sell the motor and pay off the loan.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I have Ford Focus TDI and would agree wiht the 2 of the poinst above but nothing worn out yet. Done 40K in less than 15 months and it is still soldiering on. Big enough for family, cheap enough to run. Parts are in abundant supply yadda yadda.

Asking about a suitable car seems an ok question even though its done a lot on here. Not being able to make a decision how to fund it yourself is ******* stupid though but to be expected from the OP.

You did miss an option by the way. Get the LTD to get one. Not the most ideal situation but if you get a car less than 100mg it can work out in your favour. Still an option even if not the most efficient in some cases.
                  I'd expect nothing else from you NLUK to be honest. ;-)

Comment

I have been calculating the implications of my company providing a McLaren MP4-12C as a company car for me.
                    Could be a possibility for you too.
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Ignore advice about buying pick ups and getting VAT back. You can try claiming it but if you get investigated, you'll be made to pay it back with interest.
                      No you will not, thats ridiculous; they are classed as commercial vehicles, and you're fully entitled to the vat back. Crazy advice. I have a letter signed from the tax people in my previous company's files to the very same point, as I bought one and checked.

Check first hey.

Comment

Working...
                      X