• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the bicycle geeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Look closer; there aren't any pedals under his belly, just a gearwheel (or two gears actually) in between two bars.
    I just did, thanks for that! So he'll have a chain to there, from his pedals when fitted, which will connect to teh real wheel.

Now that does make mroe sense!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      I just did, thanks for that! So he'll have a chain to there, from his pedals when fitted, which will connect to teh real wheel.

Now that does make mroe sense!
      Yep; I think what he'll have is a big gear or two at the back, with a chain powering the two smaller cogs on the front gear, and a chain from the big front cog to the back wheel, possibly with a derailleur on the back just like you see on racing bikes and mountain bikes. You can't make the speed with just one gear and chain; even if you could pedal an enormous 50cm wide gear, the cog would be so big it would cut through his gut, if you see what I mean.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yep; I think what he'll have is a big gear or two at the back, with a chain powering the two smaller cogs on the front gear, and a chain from the big front cog to the back wheel, possibly with a derailleur on the back just like you see on racing bikes and mountain bikes. You can't make the speed with just one gear and chain; even if you could pedal an enormous 50cm wide gear, the cog would be so big it would cut through his gut, if you see what I mean.
        From the article:

To reach that speed, he will be pedalling in a gear, which is around three times bigger than the top gear on a road racing bike. The pedals turn a chain which drives one set of gears, which then transfer the power to the rear wheel through a second chain, doubling the pedal power of a conventional bike.
        A single turn of the gear will propel his bike around 30ft – compared with around 10ft achieved by a road racer's top gear.
        "You just roll it and go up through the gears. If you get into the top gear you are already doing 80mph," he said.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
        X