• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another one bites the dust....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Trowbridge? Jeez, I'd be walking away from that one. Unless you are intending on living there <shudder>, you can't give stuff away there at the moment, yet builders are still looking at about 850 sq m+ on a build price.

Keep away from listed buildings, well away. The costs just rise, and rise, and rise. Also, the 350 is a guide price, and ime, they tend to go an awful lot higher than guide.

As an aside, I do know some good builders in the area. I actually got the plasterers I have always used to do my house in Reigate when I renovated it.
    Had builders quotes. Best is £60k for a 600 sq ft (£1000 per sq ft) end terrace house (attached to existing property I bought at the beginning of the year) fully managed build. Present tenant doesn't want me to build during her 1st six months, so I'm not.

I wouldnt live in Trowbag, but more then willing to rent property out there.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      Is that real or another exaggeration?

Just asking, like.
      Are you stalking me Spod? It's all rather strange.

Why don't you go and find some permieUK forum you can pontificate, and spout your bulltulip to, as you just look a dick on here.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Had builders quotes. Best is £60k for a 600 sq ft (£1000 per sq ft) end terrace house (attached to existing property I bought at the beginning of the year) fully managed build. Present tenant doesn't want me to build during her 1st six months, so I'm not.

I wouldnt live in Trowbag, but more then willing to rent property out there.
        55 sq m for 60k. Seems a bit steep MF, fully managed admitedly, but still a bit sharp.

Right about renting though, lots of renters about there. Horrid place though. Rough as all crap. Once read there were more murders per capita there, than in cleveland, although never verified it.

Always disliked Trowbridge as a kid.

Comment

55 sq m for 60k. Seems a bit steep MF, fully managed admitedly, but still a bit sharp.

Right about renting though, lots of renters about there. Horrid place though. Rough as all crap. Once read there were more murders per capita there, than in cleveland, although never verified it.

Is that real or yet another exaggeration?

Comment

No that's the price. Included the cost of the plans, building regs. I've got the latest housebuilder book and Home Building & Renovating magazine. Really good calculator in one of them that outlines the build costs(average) in different locations in the country, by build quality and service (ie. do it yourself, fully managed). Fully managed is the most expensive.

Build Cost Calculator | Homebuilding & Renovating

Excellent help this.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No that's the price. Included the cost of the plans, building regs. I've got the latest housebuilder book and Home Building & Renovating magazine. Really good calculator in one of them that outlines the build costs(average) in different locations in the country, by build quality and service (ie. do it yourself, fully managed). Fully managed is the most expensive.

Build Cost Calculator | Homebuilding & Renovating

Excellent help this.
              Yes, it is good, have read it myself. Didn't realise it was all in, just thought it was the build price fully managed. Seems very good, given plans and Build regs should cost 5k.

I have friends in the area whom I still use who would be a bit cheaper than that, however, than means self managing and I can see you'd want to avoid that.

It's getting cheaper in that area, as works running a bit dry, and a lot of builders are starting to trample on each others toes, which isn't going down well.

Good luck regardless.

Comment

Locals having hissy fits about pubs they haven't properly supported over the years
                You know my local then? A bit of a sweeping statement!

I was simply commenting on general opinion.

Comment

Crossed a few lines there guys - posts deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                    One of my all time favourite pubs
                    The new owner, a Mr Martin Sherry has told us unequivocally that he has bought the building to use as his own private home and has no intention of selling to anyone.
                    Definitely a shame to see that one go, but this has been happening since the 1980s.

It used to be that turning an old manor house into a pub was a commercially viable way of preserving a historic building. Sadly no longer true.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X