• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

George Osborne demands massive cuts to windfarm subsidies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Personally I want rid of all imported oil/gas asap. If it can be done with tidal/wind farms then great. I am worried what happens if the wind does not blow enough. Can we store enough power (like hydro scheme in Llanberis - electric mountain)?

It would be nice to be using renewable energy. If not then nuclear is the next best. I just don't want my a/c to go off due to lack of power - is that unreasonable?
    Not at all. we need wind, wave tidal and Solar as well as nuclear, but even the nuclear power operators (who are the same ones building the wind farms) recognise that there are constraints to nuclear, which is why 2 of the big 3 nuclear developers have pulled out of nuclear new builds and are concentrating on alternative renewables like wind & tidal as well as solar (The companies "E.On and RWE" blamed the scarcity of capital in an economic crisis, and the ‘significant ongoing costs of nuclear in relation to other renewables) .

Amongs other wind farm projects, RWE are building the Atlantic Array offshore wind farm and e-on are building London Array, Robin Rigg, Rampion and numerous others.

Obviously pulling out of nuclear new build though was a bad move and they should have listened to the advice of certain expert posters on cuk
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Cliphead obviously speaking with wisdom and from a good broad knowledge base of renewable energy production and in particular wind turbines.
      Please elighten us Cliphead;
      • What are your academic qualifications?
      • What is your Experience in the power generation industry?
      • What are your technical qualifications
      • What is your familiarity with various types of turbine design now available

I am getting really tired of reading about, and listening to the total feckwits who talk through their @rses on this forum. you have the minds of adolescent idiots and it is beginning to tire me just reading your brainless posting about subjects you know NOTHING about other than what they read in the tabloids or glean from a little googling.

answer one question. if wind turbines are such a bad idea, why is practically every country in the world installing them?

but of course, these IT helpdesk monkeys know far better than the thousands of people in governments and private industies worldwide that are working on the problems of supplying the ever growing demand for power.

The very idea of the subject being debated on this forum and the technology being criticised by some of the more obvious feckwits here whose greatest achievments seem to be getting p!$$ed and finding their way home afterwards, is quite laughable.
      Historically they will be remembered for......................................er....... ....um............Ok, so they will be forgotten as soon as they turn up their toes, but they will be forever a legend in their own minds for the pointless futile debates they generated or engaged in on a forum that will disapear from the annals of history just as quickly as they and their mindless babbling.

I think what I am trying to say is. Your opinions are worth less than nothing. what you say is completely without worth because your knowledge of the very subject is as negligable as your intelligence.

YOU BORE ME
      What are your qualifications?
      You have lost the debate by descending to this level of insulting behaviour.
      The reasons why governments are investing so much money in windfarms are exactly the same as the reasons they entered the Euro -political
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Why 1

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        The reasons why governments are investing so much money in windfarms are exactly the same as the reasons they entered the Euro -political
        Well ignoring the fact that the wind haters were the ones doing the insulting, which you ignore, why was it politically motivated?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Sorry, hadn't realised that China, America Saudi Arabia, Philipines, Japan, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand.........etc....etc Had joined the Euro

Obviously you are a far wiser man than am I. with far more experience than I.

I am an Engineer who has worked in Nuclear and Fossil Fueled power stations, as well as in offshore wind, wave and tidal for 30 years, but obviously you know better than I DA. What is your area of expertise again?

By the way, the Fwitts I refer to have been gnawing at this old bone for weeks. I merely spoke my mind. I asked a question of relevance to Cliphead at the beginning of the post, and then spoke my mind I did not make any directed insults (at individuals) I merely made a broad statement and if anybody feels that this statement is pointed directly at them, then there must obviously be some deep seated personal reason or truth for them to believe so.
          Do you believe that the post was aimed at you DA?

Comment

This is a win/win then Diver
            The people who think wind is moslty useless in a modern grid want to see the subsidies cut, you say there are no subsidies
            so leave it at that.

Let Osborne slash the non existant subsidies

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              The people who think wind is moslty useless in a modern grid want to see the subsidies cut, you say there are no subsidies
              so leave it at that.

Where did I say there were no subsidies?

I posted the actual cost of subsidies as published by DECC who allot the subsidies, suggest you reread my posts and check DECC for subsidies/figures for renewables.
              I have posted the actual figures from DECC 4 times in the last 3 weeks, and posted the Chris Huhne |(DECC) speech to the Royal Society;

Chris Huhne speech to the Royal Society: Why the future of nuclear power will be different - Department of Energy and Climate Change

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                so leave it at that.

That's nuclear out of the window then.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  Where did I say there were no subsidies?

I posted the actual cost of subsidies as published by DECC who allot the subsidies, suggest you reread my posts and check DECC for subsidies/figures for renewables.
                  I have posted the actual figures from DECC 4 times in the last 3 weeks, and posted the Chris Huhne |(DECC) speech to the Royal Society;

Chris Huhne speech to the Royal Society: Why the future of nuclear power will be different - Department of Energy and Climate Change
                  I have not tried to mislead or hide any FACTS, I have posted them.

Comment

My academic and technical qualifications stay on my CV where they belong and won't be aired here.

Windfarms? Twenty years from now they'll be rusting relics.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      That's nuclear out of the window then.
                      There are no nuclear subsidies The taxpayer merely paid £7 billion in 2010/2011 and pays £3.2 billion+ a year ongoing to manage radioactive waste and decommissioning of nuclear power stations. they are not called subsidies they are called "Costs to the tax payer" That is completely different to subsidies.

Stop calling them subsidies

Comment

Working...
                      X