• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed part 1 - The Spanish banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Spanish banks starting to collapse, this is the start of the end.

BBC News - Bankia shares suspended amid bailout request reports
    The sooner they kick Greece out the sooner they can start printing money and save the PIIS banks.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
      It won't happen here. I mean, Spain's problems are due to a massive house price bubble, right?

I Just took a look at the house prices in spain. we were considering buying a place in Catelonia.

There is a major rush to sell and a lot of repossessed properties.

1/2 the price they were going for 2 years ago.

May hang on and pick up a bargain and I'm not being facetious.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        I Just took a look at the house prices in spain. we were considering buying a place in Catelonia.

There is a major rush to sell and a lot of repossessed properties.

1/2 the price they were going for 2 years ago.

May hang on and pick up a bargain and I'm not being facetious.
        Do what sassy did and buy 2 years ago at the peak.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
          This will only increase the pace of the bank runs on struggling sovereigns. It will hit a point where the whole banking system will need to be bailed out...........AGAIN!!!!!
          I think theyc an't afford a bank run in Spain, Portugal, Greece and italy; the whole shebang will then see runs in france. Contagion, where will it stop...

I have oodles of dosh in a spanish bank too, must start mixing it about...

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Mine's with Cater Allen (also Santander). Just keep the balance under £85k.
            Ditto, but aren't Santander UK a separate subsidiary?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Ditto, but aren't Santander UK a separate subsidiary?
              Yes. The part of the bank that operates in the UK runs as an 'autonomous subsidiary of the Santander Group', meaning that its British bank should be shielded from problems coming from other parts of the company. Santander has stated that this is a 'firewall' and money borrowed and lent in the UK stays in the UK.

Head of Santander UK's retail bank Steve Pateman, said: 'Customers of Santander UK have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. We operate entirely separately from Spain and we are, financially, one of the strongest banks in Britain. Additionally our exposure to Europe amounts to less than 1 per cent of our total assets.
              What protection do my savings have? - Are my savings safe? - Savings & investments - Which? Money

Comment

Yes. The part of the bank that operates in the UK runs as an 'autonomous subsidiary of the Santander Group', meaning that its British bank should be shielded from problems coming from other parts of the company. Santander has stated that this is a 'firewall' and money borrowed and lent in the UK stays in the UK.

Head of Santander UK's retail bank Steve Pateman, said: 'Customers of Santander UK have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. We operate entirely separately from Spain and we are, financially, one of the strongest banks in Britain. Additionally our exposure to Europe amounts to less than 1 per cent of our total assets.
                What protection do my savings have? - Are my savings safe? - Savings & investments - Which? Money
                Yeah right.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Yeah right.
                  It's all true you dim crustacean. It says so in the Santander customer service announcement.
                  and it also says that they are so confident that they are the safest bank in the world that they would encourage you to place all your money with them. ASAP.

Comment

Was this the bank that had the flying pig in its adverts?

We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
                    - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
                      Was this the bank that had the flying pig in its adverts?

That would be Zurich Bank

Comment

Working...
                      X