• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diesel filters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB
    It is if you go veggie and brew your own

27p per litre
    I thought you had to declare it to C&E and they charge you about 40p per litre for the privelege of making it nearly as expensive as "proper" diesel?

Comment

Have you considered that the warning light may be coming on in error?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Those viscous coupling fan jobbies just aren't up to it y'know

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Got self diag sign on my PUG 307 saying to "UNBLOCK DIESEL FILTER", one dealer said its 75 quid but booked until 13th of June, the other says it may well be particular filter which is lot more expensive like 400 quid work inc parts, so the question is, just how likely it is to be particulate filter? Car only made 60k miles with all servicing, sounds rather strange that at this time it would have to be particulate filter
          I should have the same model engine that you have in my car if it is the 1901 cc turbo. You can change the filter yourself it costs about £8 to £10. There is one nut to release the filter and when you replace it you need to prim the pump. I suggest you buy the Haynes manual, even if you don’t do the work yourself the manual is useful to stop getting ripped of.

Also I have run diesels for 18 years and they is far less maintenance than petrol. As long and you change the oil regularly and the cam belt regularly. I save over £1200 per year running diesel plus they generally out perform petrol on the 50 to 80 mph acceleration (as shown in road tests)
          HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Got self diag sign on my PUG 307 saying to "UNBLOCK DIESEL FILTER", one dealer said its 75 quid but booked until 13th of June, the other says it may well be particular filter which is lot more expensive like 400 quid work inc parts, so the question is, just how likely it is to be particulate filter? Car only made 60k miles with all servicing, sounds rather strange that at this time it would have to be particulate filter

If it's the 307 HDI FAP then it could well be the more expensive job. FAP Filter needs servicing every 50k miles or so. It could just need a fluid top up or it could need a new filter.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              I thought you had to declare it to C&E and they charge you about 40p per litre for the privelege of making it nearly as expensive as "proper" diesel?

Yes you do have to pay tax, but only if you produce over a certain quantity - dont have the figures to hand - and even then it's at a much reduced rate to normal diesel. And thats if you can even get them to admit that you should be paying tax and work out how you can pay them for it.

If you do it right your manufacturing costs are around 11p a litre.

Just checked and the current rate of duty is 28p litre so I was a little out. You should still manage less than 40p ltr.
              Last edited by DaveB; 30 May 2006, 13:31.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

John Galt - both calls were to dealers, the first one basically said 75 quid but wait 2 weeks, so i gave another call and they said they cant say for sure until they see car - it may well be it will cost same amount, but the worst case scenario was to change particulate filter which is not cheap. I am going to go along with them to see if its cheap route and will insist on changing cheap filter first to see if it eliminates warning sign that happens from time to time, not willing to go along with changing big part just now.

DaveB: it is 307 HDI FAP, I did all serving on time and AFAIK it should not be replaced until at least 90k miles or so - last service and MOT was 3 months ago, all engine kind of stuff passed just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
                  I should have the same model engine that you have in my car if it is the 1901 cc turbo. You can change the filter yourself it costs about £8 to £10. There is one nut to release the filter and when you replace it you need to prim the pump. I suggest you buy the Haynes manual, even if you don’t do the work yourself the manual is useful to stop getting ripped of.

Also I have run diesels for 18 years and they is far less maintenance than petrol. As long and you change the oil regularly and the cam belt regularly. I save over £1200 per year running diesel plus they generally out perform petrol on the 50 to 80 mph acceleration (as shown in road tests)
                  Not according to all the car magazines and fleet owners:

http://www.accountancyage.com/accoun...trol-vs-diesel

Comment

[QUOTE=AtW]John Galt - both calls were to dealers, the first one basically said 75 quid but wait 2 weeks, so i gave another call and they said they cant say for sure until they see car - it may well be it will cost same amount, but the worst case scenario was to change particulate filter which is not cheap. I am going to go along with them to see if its cheap route and will insist on changing cheap filter first to see if it eliminates warning sign that happens from time to time, not willing to go along with changing big part just now.

ATW, as Bagpuss so rightly pointed out it could be that the warning light has come on in error. No offence but any main dealer will charge you over the odds for parts and labour - would definitely put in a call to a local, reputable garage. Also, don't insist on the cheap filter if they insist it is the dearer one that needs replacing - get a second opinion if necessary but otherwise you will be throwing your money away. A blocked filter can cause problems within the engine - if you insist on the cheap filter and it doesn't need replacing it will have cost you unnecessarily and it wont fix the problem

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                      Not according to all the car magazines and fleet owners:

http://www.accountancyage.com/accoun...trol-vs-diesel
                      I don’t have a company car so the tax penalties do not apply. I charge my company mileage.

The fuel consumption on my car is 62 mpg at 60mph, I do regular UK and European Motorway trips at 80 to 90 MPH cruising to which I get not less that 50mpg. I change the Oil and filter ever 5,000 miles at a cost £25 and the air and oil filers every year £22 cam belt and pulleys every 40,000 at a cost of £240.

The car has the option of a diesel catalytic converter that bring the emissions to a miniscule level but I do not fit it because the UK government does not take diesel catalytic converters into account for road tax or mot purposes.
                      HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Working...
                      X