• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So, hands up if..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    Kind words Spod and well deserved by me. If you don't like the thread then don't post in it or stop reading once you've made the decision, all threads shouldn't have to be "in the interests of spod" much as you may want it.

By posting my stupidity it may perhaps make others think, "ahh yeah I really do need to get that backup of my stuff sorted out tonight" or perhaps "hmm maybe I should delete x,y,z from my usb drive in case I ever lose it".

I fully agree I was stupid, I've not said otherwise, but in the same way someone posting "my hard disks just died and my backup option is screwed" it might make others think more on the subject and prevent what could be a possible misfortune whether self inflicted or just through bad luck.
    Come on, I was taking the piss.

I wait with baited breath for your pearls of wisdom and take great delight when things like this - that have also happened to me - happen to others.

It's a rite of passage.

Comment

For those that are interested, Hidden requires a user to actually connect to a network rather than remote tracking 24/7, so in my case it's only going to show tracking data if the user breaks the screensaver password.

Also, even if you password protect a machine, it can obviously be wiped and re-installed.

a useful document i've found prevents a mac from being wiped and re-installed without entering a password:

Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

...There's always the chance its sat in some lost & found office and hasn't yet been linked to my lost luggage report.
        I left my briefcase on the train on my regular commute once. I was quite pissed at the time. I didn't realise until I'd got home.

I called the station, and someone had handed it in at the next stop. The station staff put it on the next train going in the other direction, and by the time my wife got me back to our station, my briefcase was already there. With everything intact, including laptop.

I think the Germans are even more efficient.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

I wait with baited breath for your pearls of wisdom and take great delight when things like this - that have also happened to me - happen to others.

It's a rite of passage.
          no offence taken

Comment

If you want sympathy look in the dictionary between suicide and tulip!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

your stupid enough to get off the train at Dusseldorf airport and leave your laptop bag containing house keys, full bank details and macbook onboard.... doh

password changing night anyone?

luckily I have Hidden installed on the macbook and so any scum that might feel like it's a good steal will soon have their location and photo taken.

here's hoping...
              Being Germany it may already have been handed in. Although being an airport it may already have experienced a controlled explosion.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Sorry to hear about the loss chef.
                As for temp use of an iPad and a USB drive, external hard drives will apparently work on the iPad through Apple's Camera Connection Kit but only if they’re externally powered: the iPad’s USB bus won't provide enough power to keep bus-powered devices running. However, because of the iPad’s design, the only files that the iPad will see on the external drive are images.

It's what put me off getting one
                good point, didn't realise that ipads don't like external usb drives, but it wasn't what I meant. I plan to buy a ipad as an interim until the new macbooks come out, seperately i need to buy a new usb pen drive for day to day office use. Considering my now lost one has a copy of my last invoice on it (therefore giving my name and address), I'll be considering a replacement pen drive with some sort of password security and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

I wait with bated breath for your pearls of wisdom and take great delight when things like this - that have also happened to me - happen to others.

It's a rite of passage.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Being Germany it may already have been handed in. Although being an airport it may already have experienced a controlled explosion.
                    Annoyingly I can't tell from here (sweden) as the phone number for lost and found at Deutsche Bahn is a premium rate number that my mobile wont accept internationally and the online search functionality on db's website doesn't recognise call center created lost items report, so I have to wait until I get back Thurs evening before shopping for new/replacement toys.

So now to look forward to the house key replacement costs. Not cheap in Germany.

Comment

Try emailing them: [email protected] Or fill in the form here http://www.bahn.de/i/view/mdb/pv/pdf...lisch_1208.pdf and fax it to +49 69 265 21387
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X