• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do some of us take posts in general so seriously?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Specifically in general?
    Generally, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      It delights me why people flounce when a moderator gives them an infraction, which is why I dish them out all the time.
      FTFY
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
        What I don't get is why stoke the fire more.. Surely posting a thread thats a very thinly veiled continuation of the argument is just trying to annoy the other person even more.

Lets all go out and play kiss catch or something.
        Stop stirring you wind up (go on take offence )

The thread was genuine and not as you said "a very thinly veiled continuation of the argument" I actually like the guy and even +rep his posts. we all get out of the bed on the wrong side occasionally and need to act out a bit (I know I do).
        I merely used it as an example to display what sometimes goes wrong on here, when nonsensicle debates and posts can cause genuine distress in a member. we should all be wary of haranguing someone who is showing genuine distress, and those feeling distressed should put the poster that is winding them up on ignore (there goes my audience ).
        Alltogether, a sobering experience and a lesson to us all.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by diver View Post
          it appears that some of us get so wrapped up in threads that it actually affects our social skills, causing uncalled for personal attacks on other posters, foul languaged diatribes and the acrimonious or invective haranguing of posters with apposing views.

I myself have been guilty of this on 2 occasions in the past 4-5 years, although i usually resort to something a little more subtle in retort.

I will admit that a good proportion of my posts are deliberately set to wind up people who i find are getting far too intense or pedantic on a subject (sometimes i even have to google a response if i don't know enough on the subject). What surprises me though, is how seriously some people (quite a few) take opposition to their points of view.

I do, i admit find it quietly ammusing but on occasion i feel guilty for exploiting some peoples weaknesses, or driving a wedge into peoples beliefs, and knowing that this must have a personal cost to those posters with regard to their feelings, i would like to appologise to one and all for any and all those posts that have upset people.

Please take posts with a pinch of salt, don't get too involved, and most of all. Remain calm and don't take life so seriously. Remember, what you post on here has little chance of changing society for better or worse. People mostly don't care
          how dare you!!!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            how very very dare you!!! Flounce
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              FTFY
              Bit out of order for you to keep stoking the flames. You don't know what it's like for these ex-forces types. One minute happy as larry, the next a child pops a crisp packet and they're back in Nam reliving the horrors.

Lay off.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Bit out of order for you to keep stoking the flames. You don't know what it's like for these ex-forces types. One minute happy as larry, the next a child pops a crisp packet and they're back in Nam reliving the horrors.

Lay off.
                Shut it MF

Mods can we have this and the other thread removed please?

There's little chance of them acting as an example for display of tolerance to this unruly rabble

Comment

I'm not stirring, I was contributing, don't take my post so seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                    I'm not stirring, I was contributing, don't take my post so seriously!
                    Sorry

Comment

Working...
                    X