• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electricity Bills Set To Rise To Pay For Wind Farm Subsidies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    By the way. I'm sorry EO. I was wrong with regard to the withdrawal (although it was delayed a couple of years)

Now will you admit that you are wrong and make up, because I really do like you?
    I have said it three times, so here again for the fourth time.

people are and will die due to fuel poverty. whatever the rights and wrongs of that are

anyone who has a financial interest would be wise to sit out the debate.

EO
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I have said it three times, so here again for the fourth time.

people are and will die due to fuel poverty. whatever the rights and wrongs of that are

anyone who has a financial interest would be wise to sit out the debate.

EO
      We all have a financial interest, or don't you pay for electricity?

Those that debate it need to have some knowledge of the power generation systems surely

As this debate is obviously upsetting you on a personal level EO, This is my last post in this thread so feel free to take a cheap shot if you want the last word. I won't respond.

Best to leave this thread to fade away.............................................. ...............................
      Last edited by Diver; 20 May 2012, 21:02. Reason: sense of decorum
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I do agree that if you're on one hand saying "I'm Rich, and I dont have a social conscience" that on the other you cant seriously expect people to not resent you pushing your own market on a very sensitive subject.

In my view, EO is right , and doesn't go far enough , Fuel Poverty is happening right now, even in the UK and France - and once again hitting the weakest members of society.

That said, everyone has a right to say whatever they want, and you have been open and honest about it at least.

Everything in moderation - why do we have to OPPOSE one and be behind another.

lets utilise every clean and renewable energy form we can - and try and at least be able to power our country when the inevitable conflict over fuel comes ..

Personally, I want to see more hydro , hydrogen and wind - I'm not opposed to fuel burning either, but fossil fuels and nuclear should come second to people having reasonable expectations on fuel consumption.

Our consumption levels are unnecessarily rising, 4 TV's in 1 house, 3 computers etc etc. We're spoilt, but then want to complain that a scare resource that we are demanding more of, is going up in price.

Comment

I think there's two schools here, over consumption, and over reliance. I don't understand people being negative about renewables. I read a book about renewables: Sutainable Energy without the hot air. Referenced beavily by academic and industry figures, and it doesn't look great, as it stands.

In our household, we've embraced sustainable energy, from a few angles. I guess it's easier living where we do, and with a green council and more land available with house purchases. But it worries me that in th epast 2 years, Russia has threatened European gas supplies, the costs has gone up massively and we're basically, as it stands, at the mercy of OPEC, Russia and, to a degree, China.

Standing still doesn't make any sense to me. Nuclear power makes no sense to me either, with an ecological and family hat on.

We have invested quite substantially in Wind, Sun and Geothermal and we're looking at others, including growing willow for a burner.

I think it simply doesn't make sense to do otherwise. Looking at 2 years money from the gov, including for my hardware, I reckon it will pay off in 8-9 years. Then, with an estimated lifespan of 25 years, but an expected lifespan of 35 years (looking after the equipment), I then get free electricity, hot water, and heat. That with a complete cut down on our reliance (and charging mroe stuff on the clients sites) on electrical appliances, I can't see another way that makes sense. Just can't.

Comment

http://www.virgin.com/company/virgin-green-fund

Comment

Working...
            X