• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's it I can't take this ****** weather anymore! How do I get a gig in Ausie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    WHS.

Although I'm not sure about the young mans game.

I could easily settle in NSW - although I'd be looking at Newcastle and commuting into sydney and living there through the week.

For me, the major problem I saw with people who couldn't settle:

1. Whinging pommes - it's true - Aussies are much more laid back and the work effort is the same - only work hard when you have to .. English people get frustrated with the lack of ummpf sometimes (or they did in the two organisations I worked with).

2. Whinging Pommes - it rains a lot in Sydney in Winter - people dont seem to expect this4

3. Failing to integrate , just complaining about all the things that are different to England

4. the TV is crap , with a couple of exceptions (its mainly American TV, or american style)

I loved it - but NWP2C , you need to work on your own initiative to sort it for yourself - get a working visa sorted first - fly out there and speak to the agents directly (or test the water before you go).

You will have NO problem getting IT work in SQL/BI in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth (or any of the mining companies) - imo there's a shortage of IT peeps in Aus , who wants to be inside on the computer when theres a barby at the beach every day in the summer?

(please forgive the generalisations, I've spent a couple of years out there - and only really lived in NSW , but loved it and would defo emigrate given the chance)
    Lots of IT people (1000s) got laid off in the last few months in Sydney...check the market before you come

Tv- terrestrial TV is sh1t here... But who watches that? I have foxtel (cable) and watch TV online

Poms - steer clear if I can-Aussies are a better long term bet For friendships

You gotta forget the UK and love OZ to make it work

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      Learn to proonounce your voles then

NZ Rocks by the way - not much work , but a beautiful country.

Been in the UK for about 12 years now. Go back for a long holiday every couple of years, really great but after about 4 weeks the "novelty" begins to wear off.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner.

Anyway, they say the grass is always greener on the other side. The truth is, the grass is greener where you bloody well water it, hosepipe bans notwithstanding.
      Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        You are wrong, 30 is rare these days

Average Weather in Sydney, Australia

Out west where the chavs live it gets hotter but not in any suburb the OP would choose , being a new migrant they'd be central or coastal
        So you do have caveats?

I was commenting on when I lived there. And, as far as I am aware, it has got hotter this century.

By the way, the coldest it has been on Jan 1st in Sydney, ever, is 17.2 degrees, the hottest 45.3.

Since 1980, the mean high is 26.5 mean low 19.9. 30 is not rare these days, if you think 15 days a year on average (more since 1980) have been hotter than 30 degrees.

I get your point, but when I lived there, and last visited (2002), it was more than hot, and mostly above 30. I can only go on my own reference points. Out West it's a lot hotter, Adelaide hotter still, Perth more so. I genuinely think if you say Sydney, you can't restrict the weather to a certain small geographical area that suits your argument.

Comment

haha, is there anything we won't bicker over on CUK.

Bottom line - Sydney is warmer than Manchester - and certainly Bluer skies..

You've still got chavs / bogans tho same as Manchester - just instead of burberry and back tattoos - they have southern cross Tattoos and Rip Curl "Straylia" t-shirts.

This happened in my time (I had nothing to do with it) http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/de...riot-d12.shtml - so theres some healthy anti asian racism just like home too.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            So you do have caveats?

I was commenting on when I lived there. And, as far as I am aware, it has got hotter this century.

By the way, the coldest it has been on Jan 1st in Sydney, ever, is 17.2 degrees, the hottest 45.3.

Since 1980, the mean high is 26.5 mean low 19.9. 30 is not rare these days, if you think 15 days a year on average (more since 1980) have been hotter than 30 degrees.

I get your point, but when I lived there, and last visited (2002), it was more than hot, and mostly above 30. I can only go on my own reference points. Out West it's a lot hotter, Adelaide hotter still, Perth more so. I genuinely think if you say Sydney, you can't restrict the weather to a certain small geographical area that suits your argument.
            I am not interested in arguing with you

I'm saying in the areas OP is likely to live, it rarely goes over 30... Check the weather sites online for proof

Comment

I am not interested in arguing with you

I'm saying in the areas OP is likely to live, it rarely goes over 30... Check the weather sites online for proof
              I have. In Sydney, it goes over 30 15 days a year, on average. Given summer is, say, 90 days, I'd say that was fairly often. Now look at the weather since 1980, its 17 days, again, much more than rarely, imo. 5 days ago it was 29.6 degrees. That's coming up to Winter.

I have lots of friends who went out west as it was much cheaper. There it is even hotter. Not everyone can move to Potts Point, Rose Bay, Vaucluse, Coogee. It's not cheap, for starters, and it's also packed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                I have. In Sydney, it goes over 30 15 days a year, on average. Given summer is, say, 90 days, I'd say that was fairly often. Now look at the weather since 1980, its 17 days, again, much more than rarely, imo. 5 days ago it was 29.6 degrees. That's coming up to Winter.

I have lots of friends who went out west as it was much cheaper. There it is even hotter. Not everyone can move to Potts Point, Rose Bay, Vaucluse, Coogee. It's not cheap, for starters, and it's also packed.
                15 days a year over 30 deg is not much really is it tiger.

I'm telling ya... It's not like the med here... The weather is not that good.

Comment

Ok that was a healthy rant i think.... Perhaps I just need to go on holiday for a few weeks and then come back and start again in this damned rat race.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    Ok that was a healthy rant i think.... Perhaps I just need to go on holiday for a few weeks and then come back and start again in this damned rat race.
                    I would ... Cheaper and less hassle

Or move to Cornwall

Comment

15 days a year over 30 deg is not much really is it tiger.

I'm telling ya... It's not like the med here... The weather is not that good.
                      It was when I lived there. For 3 years. Global warming huh....

15/17 days from 90, isn't rarely is it Tiger.

Unless you think we should be including Spring, Autumn and Winter? Are you? I guess you understand I was assuming we were discussing Summer, no?

Comment

Working...
                      X