• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At what point

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Thats what they said about Maggie. DC needs a war. If Argentina does not invade the Falklands then he will have to declare war on France.
    His defence secretary has sacked the navy, army and air force just as john nott did.

Only now, we have no carriers (they were 'through deck cruisers' actually) or harriers.

Hmmm.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The Con/Lib coalition have successfully disenchanted all demographics now, apart from the rich.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        His defence secretary has sacked the navy, army and air force just as john nott did.

Only now, we have no carriers (they were 'through deck cruisers' actually) or harriers.

Hmmm.
        There is a nice Type 45 destroyer about though.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          The Con/Lib coalition have successfully disenchanted all demographics now, apart from the rich.
          If you think the rich didn't do just as well if not better under the previous lot you are dreaming.

Basically the rich get richer and the middle get poorer as they support more and more of the poor, who get poorer as they are mostly useless pieces of crap.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            If you think the rich didn't do just as well if not better under the previous lot you are dreaming.

Basically the rich get richer and the middle get poorer as they support more and more of the poor, who get poorer as they are mostly useless pieces of crap.

HTH BIDI
            This isn't the kind of Conservatism I remember under Thatcher. Where the UK populaces interests were at the forefront, where people had hope, where the rich weren't bailed out using the poor's money. This is like Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              There is a nice Type 45 destroyer about though.
              And very good, powerful and modern it is too. But HMS Dauntless is one ship!?

Yes, its capable of inflicting far more damage than its predecessors but it can still be overwhelmed.

Plus it's not very good at fighting on land!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If Labour had never been in power we probably wouldn't be in a lot different situation. The US is equally deep in the poo despite of the US republicans with many of Ronald Reagan's ex junior ministers being in charge for a decade. If we remember it was a Reagan/Thatcher project. The key reason most countries (regardless of right or left wing leaders) to varying degrees are in the cr*p is the financial crisis. That caused a huge amount of money to be spent on bailing out banks and deep recession which shows up as a high deficit. I don't think for one minute a Conservative government would have tightened up in the City, and I think the Conservative government contîinuing with John Major and successors would have continued to reinvent themselves and spend money to keep in government. The reason why governments were spending money over the last decade (and that included George Bush) was because they could. Thatcher reigned in spending because the government of the day had no choice.

I think you'll find that in the end most governments are buffeted around by markets, and an electorate's general desire for tax cuts and spending increases leading to inevtiable boom bust cycle, which is largely unavoidable. Spending cuts and austerity only occur when the Bailiffs are at the door so to speak, as soon as the Bailiffs have been sent packing the purse strings will be loosened, and it's irrelevant as to whether you have a left or a right wing government.

A classic exanple of this was Gerhard Schroeder Germany's last left wing chancellor. one day he was sitting in his chancellory perusing over some new left wing policies, when some advisors popped through the door and said "Hey Gerhard we don't have money left and Germany will go to the dogs unless you get off your backside and do something". So he did, and copied Margaret Thatcher.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 8 May 2012, 15:08.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  If Labour had never been in power we probably wouldn't be in a lot different situation. The US is equally deep in the poo despite of the US republicans with many of Ronald Reagan's ex junior ministers being in charge for a decade. If we remember it was a Reagan/Thatcher project. The key reason most countries (regardless of right or left wing leaders) to varying degrees are in the cr*p is the financial crisis. That caused a huge amount of money to be spent on bailing out banks and deep recession which shows up as a high deficit. I don't think for one minute a Conservative government would have tightened up in the City, and I think the Conservative government contîinuing with John Major and successors would have continued to reinvent themselves and spend money to keep in government. The reason why governments were spending money over the last decade (and that included George Bush) was because they could. Thatcher reigned in spending because the government of the day had no choice.

I think you'll find that in the end most governments are buffeted around by markets, and an electorate's general desire for tax cuts and spending increases leading to inevtiable boom bust cycle, which is largely unavoidable. Spending cuts and austerity only occur when the Bailiffs are at the door so to speak, as soon as the Bailiffs have been sent packing the purse strings will be loosened, and it's irrelevant as to whether you have a left or a right wing government.

A classic exanple of this was Gerhard Schroeder Germany's last left wing chancellor. one day he was sitting in his chancellory perusing over some new left wing policies, when some advisors popped through the door and said "Hey Gerhard we don't have money left and Germany will go to the dogs unless you get off your backside and do something". So he did, and copied Margaret Thatcher.
                  Spot on

Blaming previous governments (no mater how misguided they seemed) doesn't get to the route of the real problem.

Germany didn't let it happen to them, they forced their banks to invest in industry.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If Labour had never been in power we probably wouldn't be in a lot different situation.
                    Yep - Cons would keep real estate bubble just like Labour did.

The difference MAY have been in perhaps lower income tax, CGT - they'd still use debt as the main driver of economic "growth".

They would have also done PFI tulip to keep things off balance.

My guess their cynical thinking is that they know they'll lose next election, but by avoiding doing big cuts they'll leave this tulip to Labour also and will have change of beating them in 2020. Where as if they do lots of cuts now Labour might come in power for another 10-15 years.

Total 's the bunch of them - including LibDems.

Comment

So he did, and copied Margaret Thatcher.
                      In defense of Thatcher - she did not pick well paid job in a foreign oil/gas company interests of which were massively furthered under her Govt...

Comment

Working...
                      X