• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reforming Employment Agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Android View Post
    Yes I agree paperwork "Regulation" is a criminal waste, but lets put this in context; A job advert disclosure of the actual min/max rate that the client has allowed for the contract is hardly regulation? An extra line of typing takes no more than your email signiture, so why be negative?

Last week I had an agent who impled that the Client would not go above a certain rate, when in fact it was advertised elswhere for £200 p/w more. That would have been a loss of £2400 in 12 weeks, or £9600 in 48 weeks. Sorry but this money is not peanuts in my book.

Busy Body doesn't even come into it, but thanks for the post.

Me, me, me...

Comment

Perhaps you could offer a reasoned debate other than a vague personal opinion? That would be nice.
      I''m afraid I'll have to disappoint you on that score.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        and, by the way,
        do not ask people to reply, even if its a flame
        then complain when they flame you
        it makes you look a bit like a prima donna

Actually, being flamed is not a problem as it is just harmless banter expected in any forum, but doing that without actually contributing an intelligent counter argument generally lowers the level of participation, Wouldn't you agree?

It's really is not a contest, I simply proposed an idea and was looking forward to a wide range of pros & cons with perhaps some actual thought, logic and an explanation of why the system is not so great at the moment? Since the majority are honest but are having to compete with the dodgy few that are exploiting the system, I hoped a bright spark could have shared an insight into the mechanics of this business?

Comment

Actually, being flamed is not a problem as it is just harmless banter expected in any forum, but doing that without actually contributing an intelligent counter argument generally lowers the level of participation, Wouldn't you agree?

It's really is not a contest, I simply proposed an idea and was looking forward to a wide range of pros & cons with perhaps some actual thought, logic and an explanation of why the system is not so great at the moment? Since the majority are honest but are having to compete with the dodgy few that are exploiting the system, I hoped a bright spark could have shared an insight into the mechanics of this business?
          Still a
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            What's to reform

Thanks for your helpful link, it looks like a very interesting read, much appreciated.

Comment

No. Are you unfamiliar with the internet?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What is so interesting is that your idea has been "flamed" not by people with a vested interest (like me) but by people who have the most to gain from your so called transparency. Why? because the logic behind your argument is such that it could not be confined simply to recruitment, but also the implications of giving power to someone to make decisions on what is fair is quite abhorrent.

You really should try and think things through
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  I have never heard an EA disclose their fees to me before being shown around a house or buying one, that is a private deal between EA and punter, same as when you take on a contract.

Did you watch The Apprentice last night? Should shops be declaring what their margin is on the gear they sell on in case anyone gets ripped off? Are all shop owners therefore sharks because they make an undisclosed profit?

Are you new to contracting?

First: Disclosing the Client's true min/max does not mean they are disclosing the final agreed rate plus their % (i.e Profit), so your Shopkeeper argument does not apply and the agents will still protect their financial charges. But I do accept your premise that there must be some confidentiality.

Second: This is a true and accurate account of my current house sale;

I emailed my local EAs and asked for a "Sample Contract" and a "Fee Structure" so I could use these to short list three agents for the sole agency and a valuation visit. Only one refused so I emailed back thanking him for his interest with my best wishes. He immediatly emailed me back the full details with a note saying that the commission could be negotiated on the day if the house is chain free (which he knew it was).

So yes, even EAs will disclose their fees before a visit if they want to win more business. I saved £3000.

I hope this helps anyone here selling their house

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    why do you say enjoy at the end of your post ?

are you some sort of mentally deficient waiter-trained fast food, hard of thinking dumb-assed fckwit of a numbskull ?

is it a command ? it looks like one. ball bag.

Where are these newbie feckwits flocking from?
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      What is so interesting is that your idea has been "flamed" not by people with a vested interest (like me) but by people who have the most to gain from your so called transparency. Why? because the logic behind your argument is such that it could not be confined simply to recruitment, but also the implications of giving power to someone to make decisions on what is fair is quite abhorrent.

You really should try and think things through
                      You either agree that there is problem and the new generation of Contractors should be protected from being exploited, or you believe that it should be left to the survival of the fitest?

Incidently, Does anyone know how does this business works abroad?
                      Last edited by Android; 3 May 2012, 22:57.

Comment

Working...
                      X