• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was Galileo a liar?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orion was high in the sky in winter, but is probably now only visible near the horizon just after dusk. I haven't seen any stars for about a month.

For some post-pub fun you could try telling the time to within 30 minutes with Polaris, and your latitude with your hands.

Comment

Nope. They are all in exactly the same place at all times of the day, if I leave my house at 11AM, there's Venus right in front of my door and Orion is just over the pub. I've had enough of all your lies, you ain't fooling me any more.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Nope. They are all in exactly the same place at all times of the day, if I leave my house at 11AM, there's Venus right in front of my door and Orion is just over the pub. I've had enough of all your lies, you ain't fooling me any more.
        Are you sure what you think is Venus isn't a street light or the pub window in the distance?

Comment

I see the EU is looking for new members on the moons of Jupiter or something, geuss they have to find somebody to lend money to Spain.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's a glitch in the matrix.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

If all this planets rotating and circling the sun stuff is correct how come Venus is always in the same place, slightly to the right as I come out of my front door? How come Orion is always just ahead as I walk up the hill to the pub?

Can any CUK astronomers explain it?
              It's been overcast and pi55ing it down for four weeks solid, so the answer is that you are simply trolling.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

I am told that I am spinning round a sun on a spinning planet with a spinning moon but the universe is spinning round me.

Comment

If all this planets rotating and circling the sun stuff is correct how come Venus is always in the same place, slightly to the right as I come out of my front door? How come Orion is always just ahead as I walk up the hill to the pub?

Can any CUK astronomers explain it?
                  Wasn't Galileo one of the Illuminati or whatever they were called? He made it up.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    of course, the earths axis doesn't tilt as it goes around the sun

the earths axis is tilted, and the earth spins on its axis, as it goes around the sun.

and the earths tilted axis , does wobble, but decadaly. ish.

difficult to explain , without pictures

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

The earth is flat and rests on the backs of four huge elephants which are in turn standing on the back of an enormous turtle as it slowly swims through space.

You know it makes sense
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X