• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grim Places to work Part 2 - feel like starting a fight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Really getting peed of with this grim place. Unable to deliver because of lack of support, organisation and communication. Looks like they are trying to find a scapegoat for their seriously sh1t way of doing things.

Started looking for roles and am considering putting notice in as soon as some interviews come up.
    That's the North for you
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      That's the North for you

On a less frivolous note, shut up and either get out or carry on quietly, do you have to post your every dislike and bowel movement on here?
      There are plenty of benched folk around who'd quite like to be in a contract.
      Also Its only 6 fracking months!! If you cant handle it then perhaps you are not cut out for contracting.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        shut up
        WHS
        one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          I owe northernlad 1 positive rep.

Considering how you've lorded it over the bench posts I was in earlier in the year with your "cry me a river attitude" that raised a smile.

Seriously though, tough it out mate, its not as easy out there in the market as you think it is.
          +1
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

On a less frivolous note, shut up and either get out or carry on quietly, do you have to post your every dislike and bowel movement on here?
            There are plenty of benched folk around who'd quite like to be in a contract.
            Also Its only 6 fracking months!! If you cant handle it then perhaps you are not cut out for contracting.
            I always seem to catch you at the wrong time of the month don't I......

Comment

Comment

What Pogle said (note I'm male so tom is not my excuse). You're complaining about what for many people is a standard workplace.
                Last edited by eek; 1 May 2012, 20:28.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  What Pogle said (note I'm male so tom is not my excuse). You're complaining about what for many people is a standard workplace.
                  Fair enough, there is a way to say things though...

Comment

Fair enough, there is a way to say things though...
                    Of course, you are right, what they should have said was:

Grow a pair and get it sorted, you ******* pussy.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

This is precisely what I went through on my last gig. The pressure of wanting to shout at someone, or wet the bed or hit someone (in your case) is immeasurable.

You try escalating and it falls on deaf ears. You get told "just do your best", while everyone else above you just shrugs their shoulders.

At some point 1 of 6 things will happen.

1) Those above you will get found out and bollocked or worse.
                      2) Those above you will get found out and be replaced.
                      3) Those above you will get found out, try and blame you to cover their arses. You get canned.
                      4) No one cares, the project gets later and later. No one cares, it's just the culture of the place.
                      5) No one cares as the project is getting tulip-canned anyways and you just don't know it yet.
                      6) Those above you are playing political games and want the project to struggle. Usually as they want more budget / resource.

You will notice not any of those items are in your control.

The only thing in your control is to submit a weekly report to the project manager, with a copy sent to a private mail account. This should show what you were supposed to work on, what came up that was unplanned, what obstacles you face in terms of risks and issues, and what you have done about them - usually in terms of escalating and performing regular chases.

Soon enough you're entire working week will become chasing people and writing up these reports. Then when any of the 1-6 options occurs you are belt braces and bollocks and can turn over the evidence.

Even if they don't have weekly meetings, or ask for weekly reports, rise above it and issue one anyway.
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X