• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you were to go perm what would you want your salary(+bonuses) to be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    FTFY

I hope your new job is somewhere where precision and correctness isn't one of the required skills...
    Its one of the hedge funds you hate so much.

Comment

50% tax you mean?
      25p?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Its one of the hedge funds you hate so much.
        I don't mind people with your skills to join them.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          That's got nothing to do with it.

Question is simple. For you to swap from contracting to perm what salary would you want?

Some of you johnny come latelys will be thinking 'I'm worth 150k' but that's not really the issue. I take home a certain amount per year from contracting and if converted what would it be.
          Well for me it does, I contract because what it can do for me, your assumption is that money is the only driving point.

For example I can happily earn £30-40k in a 4-5 months contracting which will be a good permie wage for some, that would therefore allow me to take a minimum of 6 months off and spend that time with the kids.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

As an ex contractor now a permie nearly at the upper end of the poll payscale I have the benefit of security if/when ill, a pension, BUPA, shares and large annual bonuses (New car next Month) and more importantly peace of mind in a three month notice period.

It would take a very high end long term gig to make me go back to contracting.
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              I have the benefit of security.... more importantly peace of mind in a three month notice period.

Comment

and your point is?

What were you expecting, security of tenure

Oh yeh! forgot to mention the very good redundancy package and retirement Golden Handshake
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Two words: appraisals, targets.

Those, coupled with maybe max 6 weeks holiday a year and 5 day weeks, Forget it.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Those, coupled with maybe max 6 weeks holiday a year and 5 day weeks, Forget it.
                    +1mm

I think you'll find those trying to kid themselves that they're better off perm are reaching the end of their careers. They're worried about the future and are looking for stability.

Or they've convinced themselves that they're bored of contracting and that going perm will work out much better for them. Hmm, best of luck with that.

Going perm is admitting defeat. Trying to convince yourself that you're better off financially is what all permies in this position have to do

Oh and as far as hedge fund bonuses in IT are concerned. If you don't work in the business (trading desk) you are likely to be disappointed with your 'bonus', especially if the funds perform poorly. I know many people in the big funds who are not happy bunnies and want to get back into contracting.. Just syaing like

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

And endless meetings.

My nirvana is getting my multi-client, direct business running a full shout again. Although you can have the perception of flexibility and freedom, it can take over your life again leaving you cash rich and time poor.

I'm trying to avoid those mistakes of the past.

The thing that worries me is that as I get older and more disenfranchised with IT and work in general, I worry that prospective clients may not hire the services of an old, bedraggled vagabond at some stage, when I may reek of vodka, piss-ridden clothes and pushing a Sainsbury's shopping trolley full of KFC leftovers, dead rodents and Big Issue mags to my interviews.

I may end up perched upon my office chair, staring out of the window, swimming in effluent waiting for the ticker to stop in an alcohol infused race to oblivion.

There again, I could end up with a rich octogenarian, buy a Twin Otter plane from my courageous offers of silver tongue cavalier-ism and engage my contractual services in ferrying and startling Maldive holiday makers by making heroic hi-g yoyos and engaging in a high speed, flapless, powerless water landing inches from the Banyan Tree Island's welcome pier.

The screams and projectile vomiting would be worthwhile. As would my onboard stash of piña coladas and bucket of live lobsters.
                      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                      X