• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Places to stay near Canary Wharf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Isle of Dogs. Burrells Wharf. I stayed there for 6 months, very conveniently placed for DLR and the river bus stops outside. Has gym and pool. Anywhere round there will have dodgy places next door though. St David's is newer but probably more expensive. Should get a studio for £900.
    Burrells wharf is really nice and most of the apartment blocks have gyms and pools if I remember rightly.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

fyi: Mudchute asda is being ripped out and remodelled for a huge residential dev. bigger than pan panninsular. The amount of new builds is driving costs down. I have lived locally over 8 years now, moving 4 times - happy to recomend specific streets/buildings if you like (have done before for friends).

If you want walking distance stick to the riverside flats, all portered. Jubilee line is alot better post improvement works, dlr is being 'tested' for the olympics at the weekend at the min.

Depends on your priorities really.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. My main priorities are that the daily commute is reasonably short - less than 1 hour each way. I'd prefer to have a place with a seperate bedroom. We are planning on using it at the weekend so that my wife and kids can come down and use it as a place to stay on the odd occasion - so a studio really wouldn't be too handy. I'd also prefer to have parking available. I have to pick my son up from school in worcester on a regular basis and so it's handy to have my car available on these occasions.

I'm assuming that every cost that I incurr in renting a place down there (rent, bills etc) will be an allowable expense.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

South of the river, or over by the airport or O2 you will get more space for your cash, Clipper and jubilee line 1 stop away, large tesco and ok shopping centre close by:
          Eg:
          1 Bed flat to rent in Pennington Court, Canada Water - Ref: 11521099

What I have done in the past is blitz all the agents on the site with your requirements, tell them what you want and when and tell them your timing window to view – tends to focus them and makes them come to you, not the other way round.

Market is vquiet at the min, I moved last week, just 2 buildings down, got a cheeky deal because it was empty 3 months. Alot of the new builds are overpriced and tiny (The Landmark & Pan Panninsular). If you are seeking furniture also, ping me, I know a couple of sites who will haggle with you if you are bulk buying (no connection to any of them, they were just really good to me).

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            Thanks for all the comments. My main priorities are that the daily commute is reasonably short - less than 1 hour each way. I'd prefer to have a place with a seperate bedroom. We are planning on using it at the weekend so that my wife and kids can come down and use it as a place to stay on the odd occasion - so a studio really wouldn't be too handy. I'd also prefer to have parking available. I have to pick my son up from school in worcester on a regular basis and so it's handy to have my car available on these occasions.

I'm assuming that every cost that I incurr in renting a place down there (rent, bills etc) will be an allowable expense.
            Not if the wife and kids are coming to visit at the weekends
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Not if the wife and kids are coming to visit at the weekends
              Hector does not have to know that! Would also be pretty hard to prove if/when they did
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                South of the river, or over by the airport or O2 you will get more space for your cash, Clipper and jubilee line 1 stop away, large tesco and ok shopping centre close by:
                Eg:

What I have done in the past is blitz all the agents on the site with your requirements, tell them what you want and when and tell them your timing window to view – tends to focus them and makes them come to you, not the other way round.

Market is vquiet at the min, I moved last week, just 2 buildings down, got a cheeky deal because it was empty 3 months. Alot of the new builds are overpriced and tiny (The Landmark & Pan Panninsular). If you are seeking furniture also, ping me, I know a couple of sites who will haggle with you if you are bulk buying (no connection to any of them, they were just really good to me).

Best of luck!
                Cheers for all the info. I'd spotted that one also, but its sharing and I don't really want to do that

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                  Eg:

Best of luck!
                  My place is just down the road from there. You can rent in one of the warehouse conversions in the area (Rotherhithe Street or Rotherhithe Village) which tend to give you more space and in the case of my building a swimming pool, underground parking and gym.

Comment

I always stayed in Greenwich Village when working at Canary Wharf, mainly as I liked the village feel to it all when going out to eat in the evenings.
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X