• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Places to stay near Canary Wharf"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    I always stayed in Greenwich Village when working at Canary Wharf, mainly as I liked the village feel to it all when going out to eat in the evenings.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    South of the river, or over by the airport or O2 you will get more space for your cash, Clipper and jubilee line 1 stop away, large tesco and ok shopping centre close by:
    Eg:
    1 Bed flat to rent in Pennington Court, Canada Water - Ref: 11521099

What I have done in the past is blitz all the agents on the site with your requirements, tell them what you want and when and tell them your timing window to view – tends to focus them and makes them come to you, not the other way round.

Market is vquiet at the min, I moved last week, just 2 buildings down, got a cheeky deal because it was empty 3 months. Alot of the new builds are overpriced and tiny (The Landmark & Pan Panninsular). If you are seeking furniture also, ping me, I know a couple of sites who will haggle with you if you are bulk buying (no connection to any of them, they were just really good to me).

Best of luck!
    My place is just down the road from there. You can rent in one of the warehouse conversions in the area (Rotherhithe Street or Rotherhithe Village) which tend to give you more space and in the case of my building a swimming pool, underground parking and gym.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    South of the river, or over by the airport or O2 you will get more space for your cash, Clipper and jubilee line 1 stop away, large tesco and ok shopping centre close by:
    Eg:

What I have done in the past is blitz all the agents on the site with your requirements, tell them what you want and when and tell them your timing window to view – tends to focus them and makes them come to you, not the other way round.

Market is vquiet at the min, I moved last week, just 2 buildings down, got a cheeky deal because it was empty 3 months. Alot of the new builds are overpriced and tiny (The Landmark & Pan Panninsular). If you are seeking furniture also, ping me, I know a couple of sites who will haggle with you if you are bulk buying (no connection to any of them, they were just really good to me).

Best of luck!
    Cheers for all the info. I'd spotted that one also, but its sharing and I don't really want to do that

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Not if the wife and kids are coming to visit at the weekends
    Hector does not have to know that! Would also be pretty hard to prove if/when they did

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. My main priorities are that the daily commute is reasonably short - less than 1 hour each way. I'd prefer to have a place with a seperate bedroom. We are planning on using it at the weekend so that my wife and kids can come down and use it as a place to stay on the odd occasion - so a studio really wouldn't be too handy. I'd also prefer to have parking available. I have to pick my son up from school in worcester on a regular basis and so it's handy to have my car available on these occasions.

I'm assuming that every cost that I incurr in renting a place down there (rent, bills etc) will be an allowable expense.
    Not if the wife and kids are coming to visit at the weekends

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    Eg:

Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Thanks for all the comments. My main priorities are that the daily commute is reasonably short - less than 1 hour each way. I'd prefer to have a place with a seperate bedroom. We are planning on using it at the weekend so that my wife and kids can come down and use it as a place to stay on the odd occasion - so a studio really wouldn't be too handy. I'd also prefer to have parking available. I have to pick my son up from school in worcester on a regular basis and so it's handy to have my car available on these occasions.

I'm assuming that every cost that I incurr in renting a place down there (rent, bills etc) will be an allowable expense.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    fyi: Mudchute asda is being ripped out and remodelled for a huge residential dev. bigger than pan panninsular. The amount of new builds is driving costs down. I have lived locally over 8 years now, moving 4 times - happy to recomend specific streets/buildings if you like (have done before for friends).

If you want walking distance stick to the riverside flats, all portered. Jubilee line is alot better post improvement works, dlr is being 'tested' for the olympics at the weekend at the min.

Depends on your priorities really.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Isle of Dogs. Burrells Wharf. I stayed there for 6 months, very conveniently placed for DLR and the river bus stops outside. Has gym and pool. Anywhere round there will have dodgy places next door though. St David's is newer but probably more expensive. Should get a studio for £900.
    Burrells wharf is really nice and most of the apartment blocks have gyms and pools if I remember rightly.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Lots of permies seem to commute in from Greenwich and Blackheath into the wharf. DLR or Thames Clipper (from Greenwich pier) some of them even cycle in.

My London pad is in Canada Water/Rotherhithe - no problems with the area at all (low density housing and lots of green spaces) and a short (3min) ferry ride across the water.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Isle of Dogs. Burrells Wharf. I stayed there for 6 months, very conveniently placed for DLR and the river bus stops outside. Has gym and pool. Anywhere round there will have dodgy places next door though. St David's is newer but probably more expensive. Should get a studio for £900.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Rainham or Purfleet would be doable get a C2C train, swap at barking or limehouse and tube it to a DLR

Apart from the usual yobs violence is pretty rare, it's more the odd drunken teenagers than anything

A world away from the really rough spots in London

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It wasn't that bad surely.
    Twenty years ago it really was (it was before respectable people started moving into the area).

Students could get some nice new places in those days because no one else would live there.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I remember going to (what is now) the big Asda at Mudchute one day about twenty years ago. They made me leave my watch with them as security before they would let me have a metal shopping basket.

It wasn't that bad surely.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It is true that most of the new built up areas are right near some iffy areas. Used to live in the iffy areas as a student and you did have to watch yer back.
    I remember going to (what is now) the big Asda at Mudchute one day about twenty years ago. They made me leave my watch with them as security before they would let me have a metal shopping basket.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X