• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attitude of people on low pay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm not too sure the chap in the garage I go to knows either.
    Most "technicians" don't either. Most manufacturers spec wheel nuts at somewhere around 100N m, but apparently "As tight as you physically can, and then a little more" became standard.

Comment

I know what a taut wench is - does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Why should he feel like a wimp? I couldn't think of anything worse than having to decorate - I'll paint if I have to, but **** wallpapering and similar. I'd genuinely rather go to work and earn money so that I can pay someone else to do it. Actually, I hate DIY in general but I'll put up with hanging things, building furniture and shelves or whatever.

I do most of my car work myself because it's a hobby, but if I've got cash in the bank then I'm not going to choose to change a clutch on the drive in December for example (Reminds me of the time I had to change a brake caliper at night in a freezing thunderstorm).

I do kind of know where you're coming from - most of my friends wouldn't even know what a torque wrench was, but there's not enough time to learn to do everything.
        Some jobs not worth it I get it, but I'm talking about the inability for many people to even do the most basic DIY stuff. Calling out a real man to do it knowing full well they are being laughed at. Rise of the wimp.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          Some jobs not worth it I get it, but I'm talking about the inability for many people to even do the most basic DIY stuff. Calling out a real man to do it knowing full well they are being laughed at. Rise of the wimp.
          You don't need to get someone in as your butler does it all for you.

Comment

Some jobs not worth it I get it, but I'm talking about the inability for many people to even do the most basic DIY stuff. Rise of the wimp.
            I disagree - it's just relative. Do you slaughter an animal for tea each night, or do you buy it already dead from someone else?

Comment

I disagree - it's just relative. Do you slaughter an animal for tea each night, or do you buy it already dead from someone else?
              I thought you were sort of agreeing, But
              I'm not talking about complete self sufficiency, which I could do/thinking of doing. I'm talking about a generation outsourcing their man pride. I know of someone who used to ring their cleaner for help changing a lightbulb. That is pretty sad admission of being a wimp.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                To be fair, I did have the wheelnuts done up with a torque wrench in Kwikfit once.
                Just depends on the attitude of the person, I guess. Mind you, part of the problem is that people think the torque setting in the minimum to obtain, so I've seen people do them up with impact wrenches (Cos it's like the F1) and then 'check' the torque. Obviously it'll click if you've just done them up to 400N m!

Comment

I thought you were sort of agreeing, But
                  I'm not talking about complete self sufficiency, which I could do/thinking of doing. I'm talking about a generation outsourcing their man pride. I know of someone who used to ring their cleaner for help changing a lightbulb. That is pretty sad admission of being a wimp.
                  It's this whole "be a man" thing I can't get it on. I'm all up for more self sufficiency, but pretending that it makes you somehow more manly is just pathetic and somewhat insulting to both sexes.

Comment

It's this whole "be a man" thing I can't get it on. I'm all up for more self sufficiency, but pretending that it makes you somehow more manly is just pathetic and somewhat insulting to both sexes.
                    Is it, do women find men more attractive who can /will do little for themselves?

I would say not.

Comment

Jeez. I've heard it all now. Wife text the cleaning company and advised we weren't happy. They havent replied until now.

Now get text saying police will be in touch regarding returning the house key. WTF!
                      How about phoning to see what the problem was?

Is the owner of the company thinking cant be bothered Im going to involve the police in case they accuse me of not returning the key?

Can imagine the conversaton?

hello -police.
                      Hi, I own a cleaning company. One of our customers has complained about one of our cleaners. I want to give the key back, can you guys come around and drop it off please?

Unreal....
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X