• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday ZX Spectrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    "Elrond gives you some lunch"
    Did you try killing Elrond by over feeding him ?
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

[Geek mode on]

Oh the joys of 2 colours per 8 pixel square and raspy sound effects!

Not forgetting inserting a machine code "ret" command to bypass the fast loader.

Brings a tear to the eye

[Geek mode off]

Happy birthday Speccy!
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        [Geek mode on]

Oh the joys of 2 colours per 8 pixel square and raspy sound effects!

Not forgetting inserting a machine code "ret" command to bypass the fast loader.

Brings a tear to the eye

[Geek mode off]

Happy birthday Speccy!
        C9

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          My father told me that the spectrum was born when Sir Clive got his mitts on a batch of damaged Z80 chips originally intended for washing machine programmes. Half the chip was blown, but half usable. The ZX Spectrum was designed around the working half.

Urban myth?
          Given that Sinclair had already sold about 1.5 million ZX80s and ZX81s, all containing a Z80 microprocessor, it's probably safe to assume he could get hold of fully operational parts if he wanted them

Comment

Started off with a zx81 and added a 16k ram pack.

Moved to a Spectrum 48k but also bought a C64 which I preferred cos I wrote a sequencer accessing the sound chip on board. Actually gigged that baby plugged into the PA system playing bass lines - way before Thomas Dolby et al appeared on stage with a computer and cheap telly.

Had a QL and Spectrum+ too as well as a wee printer using thermal paper that used to go black after a while.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              C9
              I can't remember the others, but C9 sticks in my head. Though that was from the Oric-1, because we were middle class and only common people had speccys.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Google's ZX Spectrum 30th Anniversary Doodle loading in a Spectrum emulator:

You might want to turn the volume down first

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I can't remember the others, but C9 sticks in my head. Though that was from the Oric-1, because we were middle class and only common people had speccys.
                  C9 on a 6502 is "CMP #" or "compare immediate"
                  C9 on a Z80 is "Ret" or "Return"

Comment

Working...
                  X