• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meeja Topic Du Jour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    I think the clue is in the name, no?
    I thought it was just a subset of SGML, it's a markup language not a programming language
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      I thought it was just a subset of SGML, it's a markup language not a programming language
      The article headline just says computer language, which it is. Didn't read the article, so don't know if they are making claims inside

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        You can't beat handcrafted assembler.
        Now that is a language, kids of today don't know how easy they have it...

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
          Now that is a language, kids of today don't know how easy they have it...
          I am sure Turing said "assembler. kids of today don't know how easy they have it".

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I am sure Turing said "assembler. kids of today don't know how easy they have it".
            Was that before, after or while he was biting the pillow - apple, Shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
              HTML5 is a language for structuring and presenting content for t'internet
              HTML5 is three languages, none of them very good, bodged together to form a kind of hideous mutation not even a mother could love.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Aye.

Real Programmers used to program down to the bare metal.

Probably in octal.
                Nah, the real men progammed the computer by building it from scratch using valves and binary. (Was that the original hardcoding?)

Comment

Aye.

Real Programmers used to program down to the bare metal.

Probably in octal.
                  In my first IT job they had an old clankety clank machine that they programmed straight in executable code.

I never touched it myself.

The hardware engineer was in his sixties and did a lot of mechanical fixing.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X