• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where's the "All your emails and texts and phonecalls are belong to us" thread then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    . I'm clearly not a security expert, but know one or two who I've discussed this with... and concluded it wasn't worth the effort.
    +1. I can't see the point of making my life difficult to make someone else's live difficult but I'm fairly legit in what I do.

I don't however do facebook or other social media simply because its too easy to screw things up there.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      +1. I can't see the point of making my life difficult to make someone else's live difficult but I'm fairly legit in what I do.

I don't however do facebook or other social media simply because its too easy to screw things up there.
      You're missing out on all those uploaded pictures of relative's children at a birthday party or "liking" the fact someone is down the pub.
      Tsk, Tsk....

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Another Xogg classic.

Should have set alarm bells ringing all over the place.

He missed out No Such Agency and Echelon though.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Meh it's just adding real time capabilities to Excalibur, nothing to see here folks
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
            You're missing out on all those uploaded pictures of relative's children at a birthday party or "liking" the fact someone is down the pub.
            Tsk, Tsk....
            Thank god for that. My wife complains that all she sees is who her friends are seeing for lunch and that they have taken the dog for a walk (again).

I'll happily skip and avoid every mini details of most peoples lives. It probably doesn't interest them let alone the rest of us.

Comment

AFAIK you have to be very particular about what VPN service you use, as most have encryption the MOD have the keys to anyway, and even if they don't - if the session is configured in a particular way it's quite easy to work out who you are. I'm clearly not a security expert, but know one or two who I've discussed this with... and concluded it wasn't worth the effort.
              Back when Usenet was popular when a regular poster decided to hide under an anonymous name and IP address, you could often guess who it was from their writing style, common grammar usage etc. I'm sure the authorities have linguistics folks who can do this stuff with ease.

It's like securing your house. If you make it hard for folks to get in, you won't keep the pros out if they really want to get in, but you will deter the casual or lesser thief.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                Testing testing, one, two three four.

Can you hear me GCHQ?

Testing testing.
                And people think this doesn't happen now?

Comment

Shirley the government has had the capability to do this for years: Echelon (signals intelligence) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it just that it's realtime, or that more eyes will be able to see the data without good cause? The article: BBC News - Campaigners criticise email and web monitoring plan

AFAIK you have to be very particular about what VPN service you use, as most have encryption the MOD have the keys to anyway, and even if they don't - if the session is configured in a particular way it's quite easy to work out who you are. I'm clearly not a security expert, but know one or two who I've discussed this with... and concluded it wasn't worth the effort.
                  It's not the technology that's under debate, it's the legality.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    It's not the technology that's under debate, it's the legality.
                    Since when has our government ever worried about obeying laws it doesn't want to
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                      Since when has our government ever worried about obeying laws it doesn't want to
                      The fact the government haven't ignored the courts refusal to extradite Abu Qatada to Jordan. When Italy had a similar request they simply extradited the suspect and paid a relatively small fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X