• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should I approach price negotiation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
    Oh get you... Mr High 'n' Mighty ...riding to the damsel in distress
    You're right. Let me correct that to "stop being a complete, patronising dick".

Comment

I'm not in distress. I'm just a member of the forum asking for some information, and I appreciate the time of the people who've taken the trouble to offer it.

I don't know what your problem is, GD, but you are making yourself look like a prize wa nker.

For good reason, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by ClarissaG
        I'm not in distress. I'm just a member of the forum asking for some information, and I appreciate the time of the people who've taken the trouble to offer it.

I don't know what your problem is, GD, but you are making yourself look like a prize wa nker.

Nice repost there clarrisa!
        A little local knowledge might help.
        The general forum is not often regarded as a serious forum. Questions asked here are often ironic and rightly get roughed up a bit.
        Serious questions are usualy asked in the other sections where serious answwers (mostly) are expected, except for light relief which is for *ahem* light relief .

Are you a real girly? Are you going to get your baps out? All the other real girlies have, its part of the initiation. honest.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

He gets like that when he hasn't destroyed a planet for a while. It's the Dalek equivalent of PMT.

Comment

Now you've hurt my feelings... If you want serious answers go & post in the Business / Contracts forum...

Comment

[QUOTE=ClarissaG]I said I wanted £280 a day and they OK-ed that without hesitation. This makes me wonder if I could have asked for more and got it, particularly as they seem anxious that the client doesn't find out what they've "agreed" with me. Does this mean that the client are likely to be paying them significantly more and that I should be asking for more too?
              QUOTE]

I dont know much, but I thing the answer to this is in your question. While it is not a good idea to discuss your rates with the client, it looks like you agent is dodgy and wants to make more money off you.

You said you are on £35K + benefits. £250/day is only marginally better as there is no guarantees of how many days you will be able to work in a year, set up you pension …..and still U gotta pay taxman his various dues .

If I were, you I'll try to find out how much people with similar skills are getting. If your skills are that specialized and far in btw, then I am sure £280 is too low.

To make you feel better, I am new to contracting and pretty much in the same situation of knowing what to accept and what to spit at! Renegotiation with clients will yield +ve outcome only if you have them over a barrel with their pants down !

Comment

Just to reiterate that last point. Make sure you bend them over the barrel with their pants down. We're not here to be nice.

I'm actually negotiating two contracts NOT through agencies which is good as both of them are work from home (so I can do 2-3 contracts at once)

It's bliss.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Its OK

250 per day isnt bad , thats approx 30 per hour and I would say that for a first time contract thats about right.

You can always negotiate a better rate next time , but if you go back and ask for more that would put you in a bad spot , Agents and clients can sometimes be really wierd about this sort of thing

Stick the contract for 3 months and then if they renew tel the agent you want another 20 percent , he might be able to negotiate another 15 from the client and offer you 10.

Even for long term contractors 500 is about max payment you can find right now , this year I have had an average of 420 per day but its been tough negotiating and clients and agents are very rate sensitive.

By the way Ignore some of the loonies on here as whenever a girl signs into the forum they start bickering , but you will know it time to go and join another forum when they start talking about your arse.

Comment

silly cow........

ClarissaG - you are a silly cow permie.............. mooo.........mooo.......... the likes of you are a bad repensentation of TRUE contractors stupid and no sense what so ever...........

Get ure T**s out for the lads and we may just forgive you for you stupid mail.......

Defamator

PLUS - a note for TheMonkey go and eat a few Bananas......... you chimp....

Comment

Excuse my childishness but:

Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                      X