• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should I approach price negotiation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenever
    If it's your first contract, and you are happy with 250 a day (which is a lot of pints/burgers/chocolate bars) then take it. You will learn where you stand in the market with experience, and getting all tetchy about rates in an interview because of something you read on a bulletinboard is unlikely to endear you to the (prospective) client.

If you want post your location and skillset then maybe someone can give you and idea what you should expect.

Welcome to contracting.
    Thanks. It's essentially technical writing but calls for pretty detailed knowledge of web technologies. Along with the client, I use a particular (little known) app that would give the game away if I mentioned it, but it's obscure enough for the agency to be convinced that they'll want me.

I've decided to take stock after the interview. If I get the impression that I'm the answer to their prayers, I may well revisit the money question with the agency. Otherwise, I'll put it down to experience! The money is still better than I was getting as a non-contractor, so I can live with it.

Comment

let's start from the beginning and have a little common sense

tell us your skills luv and we'll tell you the typical rate

Milan.

Comment

Yes,

Come and sit on uncle Milans knee and he'll tell you all about the big bad world of contracting.

There there.

All better now.

PS. Do I win the award for most condescending post?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          PS. Do I win the award for most condescending post?
          You have strong competition young Crevette.

Comment

Originally posted by ClarissaG
            Thanks. It's essentially technical writing but calls for pretty detailed knowledge of web technologies. Along with the client, I use a particular (little known) app that would give the game away if I mentioned it, but it's obscure enough for the agency to be convinced that they'll want me.
            Clarissa, did you do a stint at HP a few years back?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              Clarissa, did you do a stint at HP a few years back?
              Fraid not, no!

Clarissa's my middle name that I reserve for web forums! Wouldn't want to be too identifiable, just in case.

Comment

"It's essentially technical writing but calls for pretty detailed knowledge of web technologies",

then 250gbp per day is not to be sniffed at

what would you get as a permy doing the same ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  "It's essentially technical writing but calls for pretty detailed knowledge of web technologies",

then 250gbp per day is not to be sniffed at

what would you get as a permy doing the same ?

Milan.
                  Definitely less. Approx £35K + benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
                    What are you wittering on about? You are a business... you have to negotiate... there are no "conventions" you silly billy.. You want the most, the agent wants you to have the least... and the client usually couldn't give a toss either way - it's whatever anyone can get away with... try to see the invoice from the agency to give you an idea of the margin (hard but not impossible)... and put it down to experience.

Now go and make me a cup of tea... and if you feel like thanking everyone for their help... get your tits out, take a piccy and post it on test please delete

HTH
                    Gold Dalek, stop being a complete dick. She's just asking for some help and advice.

Now just you run along back to the robotising production line.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
                      Gold Dalek, stop being a complete dick. She's just asking for some help and advice.

Now just you run along back to the robotising production line.

Oh get you... Mr High 'n' Mighty ...riding to the damsel in distress

Comment

Working...
                      X